Ch 9. Taken

"Donatello." Splinter looked at him while he gripped Leo's shoulders to steady him. "Is Raphael okay?"

Before Donnie could answer, Mikey and Renet came running into the hospital. "Dudes." Mikey called out. "We got here as soon as we could." Both were breathing hard and shaking from hearing the news. "How's Raph?"

Donatello looked at everyone, he held Angel's hand tightly as he spoke. "He's alive." Donnie said as everyone let out a huge sigh of relief. "The police told me he was very lucky. The bullet went right through the windshield on the right side and hit him in his right shoulder but….." Donnie suddenly put a hand to his mouth and sobbed. He took several deep breaths to steady himself before he could continue." They said if he hadn't turned his head to the left at that moment to try and move over into the left lane, the bullet would of hit him in the neck instead." He choked out. "It could have paralyzed him or...sob...killed him."

Donnie turned away from everyone and sobbed hard into Angel's shoulder. She stroked his shell and whispered words of encouragement. Donnie took a shuddering breath and turned back to the others. Mikey was holding onto Renet and Splinter had his arms wrapped around Leo who had tears flowing down his cheeks.

"I guess it's a good thing Raph took his truck to work instead of his bike." Mikey commented.

"It was raining this morning. He never takes his bike when it's raining." Leo whispered. He looked back to Donnie. "Will he be okay? What else did the police say? Has the Doctor been out yet?" Leo demanded as the questions flew out of his mouth.

Donnie breath deeply and composed himself. "The bullet hit him in the shoulder, there was a lot of bleeding but for the most part, he's okay. From what the police determined, when the bullet hit him, the sudden impact and pain caused him to swerve to the right so there was no other vehicle involved." Leo put a hand over his mouth trying hard to stifle the sobs as Donnie continued. "He hit the pole and the air bag went off, between that and the bullet, he was knocked unconscious."

Angel looked at everyone. "He's still in surgery, the Doctor will come out and let us know what's going on when he's done which, will hopefully be soon."

Leo nodded and took a seat. He felt so exhausted and sick, he couldn't even stand on his feet any longer. He put his hands over his eyes and rubbed them in frustration. He barely heard the others talking.

"Hey…"Mikey looked at Donnie. "How did you find out about the accident and get here so fast?" He wondered.

Angel looked at him sheepishly. "I work here Mikey." She told him, it was then he noticed she was wearing a nurse's uniform. "I was on duty when Raph was brought in and I called Donnie right away."

Donnie sniffed and wiped his eyes of the tears, he then looked at her rather shyly. "It pays to date a nurse sometimes." He said.

She looked at him with a mocking glare."Sometimes?" She questioned.

He smiled at her and brought her into another hug. "Thank you." He said.

While the others talked, Splinter looked down at Leonardo and placed his paw on his shoulder. "He will be alright my son." Splinter told him.

Leo nodded but kept his head looking down at the floor. Splinter put a finger under his chin and lifted his face so he would look at him. "None of this is your fault Leonardo." He told him sternly.

"It feels like it is." Leo replied. "Ever since I got here, I've brought you all nothing but trouble Sensei." He sighed tiredly. "First Mikey gets shot and now Raph. Sometimes I feel like the universe is telling me Raph and I shouldn't be together…"