Chapter 5

A/N: I have decided I need to include events that do not include Rory (First-person voice), but I don't want to confuse people by switching to another character in the first person.  So, I will be switching to a third-person to give the readers events outside of Rory's presence.  I'm hoping this will add depth to the story. 

The fair-haired maid brought the sweaty teens a pitcher of iced tea with two glasses.  Richard was not used to this kind of service.  Growing up, he'd only ever experienced maids at his Great Grandma Emily's place and Grandpa Chris's house. 

"Thank you," he said with an appreciative smile.  She smiled back at him and nodded her head.

"Thanks, Lena!  I've got it from here," Vivienne said dismissing the woman. 

After the maid left, Vivienne filled each glass and offered one to Richard.  He accepted happily.  The cold beverage quenched his thirst after the hard-fought tennis match.

"Your backhand has really improved!  I think you wanted to show off, not get pointers.  You nearly whooped me out there!"

"That's kind of the point," she said with a laugh and smirk.

"Have you been practicing more?" he asked curiously.

"Between my parents' divorce and then my mom's death, I threw myself into tennis as a way to escape everything," she confessed quietly.

"And you didn't think to tell me any of this?  I had no idea any of this was going on, and I would have been there for you.  You know that, right?" he replied, shocked by the revelation of his friend.  He hadn't really bothered to do much research on his father.  He'd been so preoccupied with simply knowing his name and the prospect of meeting him that he had forgotten the most important step.  On the other hand, he figured she would have told him.  It's not as if they hadn't kept in touch over the past couple of years.

"I didn't want to bother you with my problems," she began quietly.  "I didn't really talk to anyone about it.  I tried to ignore the problem in hopes that it would go away."

Richard could see the hurt on his friend's face, and the tears welling in her eyes.  He wrapped his arms around her instinctively, just like he had done so many times at tennis camp.  He remembered how he felt when his great-grandmother passed away.  It had been really hard on him because they were very close.  He couldn't imagine the pain she felt after losing a parent.

"It's ok.  I'm here for you," he said softly.  "You don't have to say anything."

He felt the warm, wet tears settling on her cheeks and soaking through his shirt.  She quickly relaxed in his embrace.  Her breathing returned to normal by the time he heard a man clearing his throat.  Richard quickly dropped his arms from around Vivienne as she turned toward her father.

"Dad, you're home early," she said surprised by his presence.  "I didn't expect you until later."

"I see that," he retorted with a stern look towards Richard.  Logan had instantly jumped into protective father mode.

Oh, my god, this man is my father, Richard thought and suddenly got nervous.  He felt his palms get sweaty and his pulse began racing.  He'd never felt like this before, even when he had to deliver the commencement address, a privilege reserved for the valedictorian.

Vivienne smiled and with a laugh, introduced Richard.

"Dad, this is Ritchie.  We met at tennis camp a couple years ago," she said.  "Remember, he's the one who recommended his tennis club when I told him we were moving here?  He's just a friend."