Chapter 7

Richard pulled out a tray and loaded it with Gilmore movie night essentials: red vines, donuts, assorted candies, and a bowl of popcorn that he'd made. His mom had been more inclined to use microwave popcorn, but he liked to make his own version using the air popper. He preferred the fresh melted butter and salt.

He sat the tray on the coffee table and turned on the TV. After scrolling through his Netflix cue, he settled on an old favorite - The Good Wife. While watching the show, he'd often imagine himself as the young, go-getting Cary Agos with the extemporaneous skills and wit of Will Gardner. He hoped to be a great lawyer someday. This was the show that fueled his passion for the law.

Just as he'd settled in, the text alert on his phone sounded. He figured it was his mother, but he looked down and saw it was Vivienne.

Vivienne: So, after you left, my dad started acting all weird, and ditched me for dinner. He said it was some business thing he'd forgotten about. I think it might be a date because he was primping like he used to do before big functions. Anyway, I just don't feel like being alone right now. Want to come over and hang out?

Richard: I just settled in for some Netflix.

He had no desire to leave his house at this point of the night. He was also afraid that she had figured out what was going on, or that she'd ask a lot of questions. He wasn't sure he was ready to tell her anything quite yet.

Vivienne: Not The Good Wife again!

Richard: So what if it is?

Vivienne: You have an unhealthy obsession with that show! It's not even relevant anymore!

Richard: It's not like NCIS is that relevant either Miss I-wanna-be-Gibbs-when-I-grow-up!

Vivienne: Touche. Truce?

Richard: Truce. Why don't you come hang out here? My house is much smaller, so it won't feel quite so empty.

He bit the bullet and invited her over. He remembered the look on her face when she'd finally told him about her mom and parents' divorce. She needed a friend, and he was the only person she really knew here.

Vivienne: Alright, but if my dad grounds me for taking the Porsche, I'm blaming you, and you're driving me around until he lets me drive again!

Richard: I doubt he'll even notice.

Of course, he knew that her dad was distracted by his mom tonight. His daughter taking his car would be the least of his worries by the end of the night. He had a feeling the night may not go as smoothly as his mom would like based on her version of their previous meeting.

Richard texted Vivienne the address to his house and quickly straightened up. Their house was rarely messy, but he didn't want her to feel uncomfortable. Then he went into the kitchen and scrounged up some more snacks for their evening. There was always an abundance of junk food.

Vivienne gathered some things to bring with to his house. Before they moved to Hartford, she'd stocked up on her British favorites. She knew she could order more online, but it wasn't the same. She'd been especially fond of Cadbury eggs.

On her way out the door, she wondered if she shouldn't tell her dad where she was going. His business dinners always run late, so I'm sure I'll make it home before he does. I left him a note on the fridge. I should be fine, she thought. If he gets mad, maybe he'll finally cave and buy me my own car!

About twenty minutes later, Richard heard the doorbell. He opened the door to find Vivienne with a bag of junk food. He saw some of her favorites peeking out the top. She was well aware of what the night entailed as he'd first introduced her to his family tradition while at tennis camp. She fell in love with it instantly. She loved old movies and junk food, so it was a natural pairing in her book.