Chapter 16

The next morning, Viv woke up early.  She was anxious to go shopping with her aunt, but even more excited to set her plan into action.  She went down to the kitchen and found her father sitting at the table eating breakfast and reading the paper.  Despite the fact he could read everything online, he still preferred to feel the paper in his hands.  The smell of a freshly printed newspaper was comforting and reminded him of a simpler time.

"Morning, Dad," she greeted him.

"Not sleeping in today?" Logan asked.

"Nope.  I wanted to talk to you before I left for Aunt Honor's," she said.

"About what?" he asked curiously.  Please don't let this be about my dinner last night, he silently pleaded.

"Well....um....I don't know if it's because I don't know how many people here, but I'm starting to rethink my friendship with Ritchie," she stated faking nervousness.

Rethink her friendship?  What the hell does that even mean?  No - he thought as the dread began washing over Logan, who was trying not to let it show.

"How so?  He's your best friend....." his voice trailed off.

"I know....but last night really got me thinking about him and what he means to me," Viv continued her charade.

She could see the wheels turning as she vaguely hinted at a potential romance with her brother.  She did her best to hide the smile that threatened to make an appearance.

"I'm not sure I follow.  How exactly would your friendship change?" he probed.

Please don't tell me my daughter is interested in her half-brother as a romantic interest! He thought worriedly.

"He's my best friend, and we can practically finish each other's sentences.  I guess I never really looked at him in that way, but, now, I am," she replied.

"You're saying you like Ritchie as more than a friend?" he asked for clarification.

"Yeah, I think I do," Viv responded as a smile started spreading across her face.  "I mean, he's smart, good-looking, funny, and supportive.  We have the same interests."

"That doesn't always mean that someone would make a good boyfriend or girlfriend," Logan warned. 

"But he's totally hot, and we really get each other, you know?" she gushed like a typical teenage girl.

What the hell?  He's totally hot?  That does not sound like my daughter!  Wait - she knows that he's her brother.  Why would she suddenly start to like him?  It's all just a ploy, but she doesn't know that I know that she knows.  I want to tell her, but I want to get to know my son better first, he rationalized silently.

"Well, my advice to you is to consider whether or not you want to risk your friendship for this.  Once you cross that line, there's no going back," he advised.

Really  Did my dad just say that?  He doesn't care that I want to - OH!  Nope.  He knows that I know and he's trying to play it off like normal.  Not today, Dad!  I'm winning this battle! she discerned in her head.

"I will!  Thanks for the great advice.  I knew I could count on you!" she said enthusiastically.

She finished her breakfast and went upstairs to get ready.  She didn't have to go too crazy since they were doing their pampering before shopping.  Honor always said to never shop stressed; it always heads to regrettable impulse buys.

"Bye, Dad," she called out as she left.

Logan couldn't believe his own daughter was trying to play him.  Then again, she was a true Huntzberger.  This type of thing was in the nature of her being.  To him, it was starting to feel like when his dad was playing him and Rory.  Mitchum was well aware of his son's doings and called Logan's bluff one day while he was at lunch with Rory.  He didn't care which way his son went with his decision, but he wanted him to make up his mind instead of playing around.