Chapter 15

Assuming it was the pizza I had ordered, I rushed over to the door and opened it.  My dinner was definitely not waiting on the other side of the door, rather, it was my very own half-sister, GiGi.  She looked like a hot mess with her platinum blonde hair in a disheveled bun and her heavily made-up face streaked with mascara.  She seemed distraught and upset.

"GiGi, what a surprise," I said.

"Rory, I don't know what to do," she started as she pushed her way into my house.

"Please, come in," I replied sarcastically, which seemed to be completely lost on her.  She had absolutely no manners.

She dropped her coat near the coat rack and made a beeline for the small bar cart I kept stocked in case of company.  GiGi poured herself a large glass of the very expensive whiskey I kept on hand for when our father visits.

"What?  No ice?" she rudely remarked.

"I wasn't expecting anyone, so there's no ice," I explained.

"Well, I'm here, and I want ice.  I can't possibly drink this at room temperature," she demanded.

"Guess you'll have to because I don't have any," I said.

She huffed and sat down on my couch.  She paused and dramatically began her sob story.

"Daddy cut me off," she said with a pout.

"He did?" I asked and she nodded.  "Well, what did you do?"

"Why do you assume I did something?  He's just being unreasonable!"

"That doesn't sound like Dad," I replied.

"Oh, you're just saying that because he likes you better!" she quipped.  "It's always 'Why can't you be more like Rory?'"

GiGi let out an exacerbated groan.  We sat in silence for a few minutes.  This wasn't her first time showing up on my doorstep.  Each time, it was the same sob story about how Dad cut her off and how unfair it all was.  Blah, blah, blah.

After a few days, she'd apologize to him, swearing she'd never do whatever it was that she had done again.  Things would go back to the status quo.  Last time this happened, Dad warned her that one more mess and she'd be out completely.  I'd never seen him that mad before.  I wondered if he was going to follow through on his threat.  If he didn't, this would all blow over, and I'd only have to deal with a couple of days of misery.

"You can stay here for a couple of days until you get things sorted out with Dad," I offered.

"It's the least you could so since I am your sister," she grumbled under her breath.  She didn't think I could hear her.

"Excuse me?" I asked in a mom tone.

"Thanks for letting me crash here.  We sisters have to stick together," she said sugar-coating it.

The doorbell rang.  Saved by the bell, I thought.

My sister had already gone upstairs to the guest room.  So, I grabbed the pizza from the delivery guy.  I set it on the table in the kitchen and went back to the bottom of the stairs.

"I've got pizza for dinner if you're interested," I called up to her.

"Is it vegetarian?"

"No," I answered.

"Is it gluten-free?"

"No, it's not, and it's not vegan either," I replied trying to cover my bases.  There was no telling what her latest diet craze was, but I'm guessing the pizza didn't fall into any of them except the Gilmore diet.