Chapter 24

And just like that, summer was over in a flash.  Richard was scheduled to move into the dorms the weekend before Viv was set to start Chilton.  Logan took off two full weeks of work to prepare both kids for their transitions.

"Dad, you don't have to do this," Richard said.

"This is an important moment in every young man's life, and it's something I'm not going to miss," Logan contended.  I've already missed far too much, he thought.  Every time a moment like this came up, he remembered being absent, and it stung Logan a little more.  Despite understanding the logic, missing all the important moments in his son's life still hurt.  He had to remind himself that it was beyond his control, and he needed to be there for him now.  Richard may not have been the great kid he is if he'd been exposed to the likes of Odette or my mom, he lamented silently.  I might not have my daughter either.

"Fine, just try not to embarrass me," he begged.

"Just for that, I'm coming to your first tennis match in head-to-toe Yale gear including a painted face!" he warned.

"Don't forget your foam finger," Rory reminded Logan.

"Really, Mom?" Richard's voice nearly squeaked.  Secretly, he loved the banter between his parents.

"How's the packing coming along?" Rory asked.

"I'm almost done minus the essentials," he answered.

"I've got a few things for you at my house," Logan chimed in.

"You didn't have to do that," Rory said.

"Don't worry," he replied.  "I only got fun things like a television and a sound system."

"The party boy starter-pack?" she wondered with a laugh.

"Hey, I didn't get the collapsible poker table and the table-top shuffleboard," Logan argued jokingly.

"I was really hoping for a beer pong table, Dad," Richard quipped.  "Are those even still a thing?"

"Nana Lorelai would be so proud," Rory said with a smile and changed the subject.  "Tonight, I was thinking we'd get everything loaded into our vehicles so all we have to do in the morning is go."

"I thought we were doing the Godfathers," Richard rebutted.  "I was looking forward to watching Sofia die over and over."

"You're right, there's really no time for breaks between movies.  Ok, then we'll have to get up early tomorrow to pack the cars," Rory suggested.

"I'll let Viv know.  She really wants to see Ritchie off to college," Logan said.

He shot his father a look.

"Her words, not mine...Ritchie," he laughed, and Richard tightened his glare.  "Ok, fine.  I won't call you that.  Besides, it sounds so cutesy.  You don't need to be blazoned with that moniker."

"Thank you," he replied gratefully.

"Where is Viv anyway?" Rory asked.

"She's at the mall with one of her girlfriends.  She said she'd be back by three for the movie marathon.  You know she doesn't miss Gilmore movie night!" Logan replied.

"And she follows the rules better than someone I know, who shall remain nameless," Rory chided playfully.

"What can I say?  I'm easily distracted," he retorted with a wink. She tried not to blush.

"Ew.  Just ew," Richard said and went back upstairs.

Things had been almost surreal since they'd started dating again.  It never got weird or felt strange because they were so comfortable with one another.  Sometimes, Viv seemed odd, but she fell back into the new norm pretty quickly.  She and Rory got on amazingly well most of the time, which was a huge relief to both Logan and Richard.  So, it was only natural for Viv to perch next to Rory during movie nights.