Chapter 6

I was working on my latest book about small-town life and its many characters when I heard the text alert on my phone. I looked to see if it was Richard, but, to my surprise, it was Logan.

Logan: I've been thinking and I'd like for us to get together and talk about everything. I was thinking maybe dinner. Perhaps tonight, if it's not too short of notice?

Crap! Tonight? He must think I have no life. I know it's not about me, but I don't want him to think I'm available whenever he decides he wants to see me - even for Richard's sake. Yet, there was something deep inside that had me giddy with excitement. I'd forgotten how it felt to be in his arms, to gaze into his eyes - QUIT! No Logan rabbit hole! Bad, Rory! Very bad, Rory! This was about Richard, not us, or any prospect of us. I flushed that down the toilet over eighteen years ago.

Rory: I suppose I could squeeze in some time to eat.

Logan: You don't skip meals, Ace....

Rory: What were you thinking?

Logan: How about 8 at luminoso e lucido?

Rory: Ok, I'll meet you there.

I guess this means Richard will have to fend for himself tonight, I thought and then began laughing.

"Mom, what's so funny?" Richard asked as he entered the study.

"Good news, actually. I'm meeting with Logan for dinner tonight," I replied.

"And that's funny somehow?"

"No, but in my head, I thought that you'd have to fend for yourself and that made me laugh," I said with a smile.

"You're right. That is funny!" he laughed in agreement.

"How was tennis with Vivienne today?"

"It felt weird keeping this secret from her and when I met....him, I got all weird and nervous," Richard recalled.

"So you did meet? Does he know who you are? Was he angry?" I fired off questions Emily style.

"Whoa, slow down, Mom! We did meet and I don't think he knows who I am. Vivienne didn't give my last name, and she always calls me Ritchie instead of Richard like everyone else," he replied answering my questions.

"Hmm....it's only a matter of time before he puts two and two together. I'm sure he asked about you after you left," I said. It's probably the reason he wanted to get together for dinner tonight.

"Probably. It's not like Viv knows though."

"You didn't tell her?" I was surprised he didn't say something.

"I wanted to, but I didn't know how and I had no idea how she'd take it. It's all so....messed up," he said.

"I know, and I'm truly sorry, Richard. This is all my fault," I lamented.

"Mom, it's ok. You thought you were doing the right thing," he replied.

"I'm glad you understand that, but it doesn't make things any easier."

"I'm gonna take a shower and find something to eat."

"Ok, I've got to finish some work here and get ready for tonight," I replied.

"Is this like a date or something?" he asked curiously.

"No, no, no. It's definitely not that! I just don't want to look frumpy or embarrass him. He's kind of a big deal and there are always eyes on him," I explained.