Chapter 19

The next morning, Logan went down to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.  All of the wine from the night before had left him feeling a little dehydrated.  He rummaged around in the fridge and finally found one stashed in the back of one of the shelves.  When he closed the door and turned around, he saw his son.  A feeling of panic swept over him and his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.  He tried to keep his lower half hidden behind the island, but feared it was too late as Richard had likely seen him.

"Oh, hey, I didn't think anyone else was up," Logan said trying to disguise the awkwardness.  "Sorry, if I woke you."

Nothing like a little reality check first thing in the morning, he thought.  Guess I should have thrown on some pants.  Then again, I've never really dealt with anything like this.  It's always been hotels because I was on the road.  I've kept all of my liaisons very discreet and away from Viv.

Richard was surprised to see his father standing in the middle of the kitchen clad in only his underwear.  It was obvious that he'd spent the night.  Oh, gross, he thought.  Now, my mom's hooking up with my dad!

"No, you didn't," he replied.  "What are you doing here?"

Fuck, Logan swore silently.  What am I supposed to say?  Hey, son, I slept with your mom last night.  Don't mind me!

"Ummm....well....uh....." Logan stuttered without forming a coherent thought.  "I, uh, had too much to drink last night and crashed in the guest room."

He didn't want his son to discover that was a lie.  At the very least, he hoped it would pacify him, saving them both from further awkwardness.  Why am I explaining this to him? he wondered.  It's none of his business.

Lie!  Richard thought.  The guest room door was open, and it was plain to see there was no one in there.

"Sure," Richard replied not wanting to discuss his parents' potential sex life anymore.  "I've got to hit the gym.  Bye!"

Then again, I really don't want to know, he thought.  Ew!

He grabbed his bag and helmet near the door to the garage and left.  Logan heard the garage door open and a motorcycle start up.  He watched his son drive off, and couldn't help but wonder why Rory let him ride it.  He knew he wasn't in a position to say much of anything but still didn't like the idea.  Right now, it was the least of his worries.

Thank, God, he left without too many questions, Logan thought.

He stood in the kitchen for a moment, trying to wrap his head around what had just transpired.  Opening the bottle, he took a huge drink.  Logan decided not to dwell on it too much longer and went back upstairs to Rory.  He snuck into the room and carefully crawled back into bed.  He snuggled up behind her and tried to fall back asleep to no avail.  All he could think about was the strange interaction with his own son, and he knew that she was likely crossing some long-established boundaries.

Adjusting himself a bit, Logan looked at Rory, who was sleeping peacefully and looking more beautiful than he remembered.  Her eyes began to flutter causing him to move back a bit.  He smiled and watched her open her eyes.  His fingers gently caressed her arm as he got lost in her gaze.  At first, she was confused, and after a moment, a slight smile began to show.

"Morning, Ace," he said softly.

"Hey, you," she replied and tried to wet her mouth, but it was useless because her tongue felt as if it were covered in cotton balls.  "Oh, wow, I need some water."

Logan reached over to the nightstand, grabbed his bottle, and handed it to her.  She moved the hair out of her face in an attempt to look more presentable.