Chapter 8

I pulled up to the restaurant, and it was nothing like my daydream.  In fact, it was quite different.  There was no valet and didn't look like a typical Logan restaurant.  Maybe he's trying to keep a lower profile, I thought.  I went inside and it was virtually dead, aside from a handful of patrons and wait staff.  I spotted Logan in the far corner of the dimly lit establishment.

He flashed a quick, soft smile.  I returned his smile and walked in his direction.  I felt myself getting more nervous with each step.  I couldn't stop my racing pulse, and my hands were sweating so bad I thought there was a faucet in my palms.  I tried taking a few deep, calming breaths before I got to the table.  Get it together, Rory!  It's just Logan and this is to help Richard, I reminded myself.

He stood up to greet me when I got to the table.  He gave me a cheek-to-cheek kiss on either side.  There was nothing warm about it, nor was it cold.  It was simply a standard greeting.  At this rate, I'd be obsessing over every single detail of the night.

"Ace," he said with a soft, genuine smile.

"Logan," I replied trying to cover my shaking voice.

I took a seat across from him.  He pushed a menu towards me.  I accepted it and quickly opened to scan my options.  I hadn't even considered what I'd eat tonight, but I had no desire to eat.  My nerves tied my stomach into a knot.

"I've heard the spaghetti and meatballs is the best dish on the menu," he offered.

Deja vu! I thought.  "You know I'm a sucker for some Italian food."

"Care for some wine?  I ordered a bottle when I got here," he said.

"Sure," I replied and he poured me a glass.

He slid the glass over to me gently.  We sat in an uncomfortable silence for what felt like an eternity until the waiter finally came over.  I didn't realize I had already drunk half a glass of wine, which was unlike me.  I could make a glass of red last an entire meal, but I was drinking nervously.  I recalled many dates with Logan, and there was rarely silence.  Maybe too much time had passed, or maybe he was still angry with me for keeping Richard from him.  I can't fault him for that, I wondered.

"And what can I get for you, ma'am?" our waiter asked, interrupting my train of thought.

Crap!  I'd zoned out again, I thought.  I felt the warmth creeping through my cheeks turning them flush with color.

"Spaghetti and meatballs, please," I replied quickly and took another drink.  I could feel the buzz from the alcohol.  I moved the water glass closer to me.  The waiter took my menu and left us alone again.

"Slow down, Ace," he said laughing at me.

I blushed some more and noticed he was pouring himself a second glass.  Although slightly embarrassed, it helped break the awkward silent pattern we'd fallen into.

"Just trying to keep up with you," I joked in return.

He blushed a little, but he's always been able to cover it better than me, and that he did with another drink followed by a flirtatious wink.  Maybe he's not mad at me, or maybe the wine was affecting him the same way it was affecting me, I thought.

"Ah, but I have a driver," he retorted with a Logan smile that made his eyes crinkle.

"Well played, Huntzberger," I replied.

Silence was upon us once more.  Logan looked like he wanted to say something.  I didn't know what to say.  He was the one who wanted to go to dinner, and now it's uncomfortable, which was new territory for us.  We'd always fallen into our old routine, but now there was this ocean between us.  A dark chasm spreading so far you couldn't see the other side.