Chapter 22: Blah Blah Blah

It was a little bit before I saw another person. In the time before then, I memorized the room to the best of my ability. It was the least I could do, and it could come in handy if I had an opportunity to escape or needed to defend myself.

I was also bored out of my mind all alone. The fact that Stromer could arrive any second and straight up murder me still rang in the back of my mind, but eventually all the waiting allowed the fear to subside quite a bit.

There was a broom, on the other side of the room and as far from me as possible. In the opposite corner from me, there was some worn exercise equipment meaning I had been stashed with all the junk. There were a few boxes, aptly named "junk" which made me wonder.

My binding seemed a little impromptu and a broom isn't much of a weapon against someone who has powers, but it's still a weapon. Why would Stromer leave me in here with that?

Could this all have been a coincidence? Maybe he was just flying by on his way home from the store, saw me walking out of the street and decided to take me when I had no one around to save me? It would make a lot of sense, it seems like I'm not very lucky these days.

Shckr poked her head in, surveying the room before quickly telling me, "Stromer's running late. I'm leaving because he only paid me to stay until 10 and it's like two minutes past that. If you escape, maybe need a little help 'loosening' your bonds, I could be persuaded to 'help' or something."

"I have $5?" That's all I had on me and only because I forgot to take it out when I got home. I had been planning on grabbing a cup of coffee while I was in the city and we all know what happened with that.

The door opened completely and Shckr strode into the room, a look of boredom on her face. She shrugged and took a few steps towards me. "That's better than nothing."

She made quick work of the bindings around my wrist, not caring one bit when I winced from her rough treatment. I'm not complaining though.

Once she had finished, she pushed herself up and lent me a hand. I took it, surprised by her helpfulness and quickly dug the money out. I handed it to her and she pocketed it, turning on her heel. As she left the room, she yelled back, "I'm not responsible for you after this. If Stromer asks, you broke out after I left. You didn't realize I was gone. Blah blah blah, I don't care as long as you don't ruin one of my best lair-sitting gigs. Think of the san pellegrino."

Maybe she's a villain because she's willing to do anything for money. Including betraying her comrades for money. I didn't even ask her for her help, she offered for no real reason.

I couldn't help but ask"Why did you offer to be 'persuaded' anyway?"

"I was bored and this seemed like it'd be interesting at least. He can't blame me because he has like zero cameras and he tied your bonds. I have no reason to help you, that he knows," We reached the doorway and she stopped, gesturing for me to leave. "This is where I leave you. Don't follow me, there are way more exits to this place than realistically make sense. Seriously, it's like he wanted you escaping or something. If I had a lair, it would have one entrance and cameras. I also wouldn't trust me to watch it. I'm not that reliable."

"Thanks?" I said as she shrugged and walked down the hallway to our right.

There were three hallways, each dimly lit. The one to the right was out of the question and I feel like going straight would mean I'd be more likely to run into Stromer, so I chose the path on the left. It felt right I guess.

Shckr mentioned there were several exits so I made note of where I turned on my phone, there was no reception of course. It was close to dying however, so I had to get out fast. For a few moments, I wondered if Stromer was just incompetent or if he had forgotten, maybe he thought I didn't have my phone one me. The last of the three may have been the case because I kinda put my phone in my bra for safekeeping.