Chapter 29: Didn't Expect That, Huh?

I changed into a blue v-neck and a pair of black silk shorts, it surprised me how much I liked all the clothes in the closet, I had a bit of difficulty choosing something to wear to bed. The makeup stayed on, it just looked way to nice to remove so quickly after I got here. The same couldn't be said about leaving it on until tomorrow morning, that would be a shit show, but I could always take it off right before I curl up to sleep.

I assumed Murphy would be in his room, and of course I was right. He lay stretched out on the bed, one leg haphazardly hanging off the edge of the large bed. As soon as he noticed me, he scrambled up into a sitting position and looked over at me.

And stared.

Okay, I definitely don't look as hot as before. There is no reason for him to stare this time.

"Do you mind if I join you?" I teetered over to the edge of the bed and sat down next to him. He seemed to shrink away ever so slightly, glancing at me in awe, "It's a little too early to sleep at this point."

"I could order food, if you're hungry?" His brow quirked up as he watched me intently.

I nodded, I had eaten back at the hideout but the faint pangs of hunger were starting to eat away at me. He stared at me for a few moments, as if he was waiting for something. "So, food?"

"Yes," He shot up from the bed, "Food. I should feed you."

"I would appreciate that."

"Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were going to want to eat. I would have already ordered food otherwise."

"Like I'm going to turn down food, especially if you're buying." I grinned back at him picturing the last time he offered to provide chinese food for a movie night at Penn's. Never have I felt so full and so satisfied, I had enough leftovers to last me a week. "You never cheap out on me."

He shrugged, "The perks of having a rich daddy."

Murphy picked up the landline to the right of his bed and dialed one. He relayed the directions and his order to the other side, before turning to me for my order. I couldn't help but feel like we were at a hotel. Another perk of living in a place like this.

We settled on chinese food and a little Jack Daniels to keep us warm. All of the high schools in Belhurst and the surrounding areas had been closed for the following day, which worked well for me. I wanted nothing more than to drown my sorrows and I could use the extra day to do all the assigned work I had been too shaken to remember earlier.

I watched him as I lay back against the pillows. He prattled on, trying to distract me from everything that had happened in the day but I found myself struck by him. The close proximity allowed me a look into Murphy I had never gotten before.

Murphy isn't vulnerable. He's surrounded by friends, and yet he lets so few people in. He opened up and told me about his falling out with the only person he was close to outside of us, Aaron. How he had recently stopped hanging out with him, explaining Murphy's sudden closeness with us. How, he realized these little moments: sexist, homophobic, xenophobic words, were more than just stupid jokes. The guilt in his eyes when he admitted he let Aaron continue on like that despite knowing how it hurt another guy in his group, so much so the friend no longer felt comfortable or safe with them.

The depth of Murphy astounded me and suddenly, I realized that I l-

"Food's here." Murphy sat up and twisted off the bed. He slipped on a tan pair of Ugg Tasmans and crept towards the door. His green eyes found mine, "I'll be right back, Geoffrey just let me know they pulled up. He's probably paying right now but I'll run downstairs, help him bring everything up. You want anything else?"