15: inquiétude

ACT 2 — SCENE 6.
SHE WORRIES.

    IT'S SO UNLIKE Jeongguk to not call her for the whole day. The last time Seojung saw him had been on friday afternoon, and it was sunday night now. She knew that he had gone on a hiking trip with his friends upon ending his last class of the week, something she had no interest in so she had turned him down when he invited her. Jeongguk tried coaxing her, told her that the sight would be so pretty and it wouldn't kill her to do some exercise once in a while but the idea of walking up a mountain for hours, exposed to the hot and scorching sun with sweat trickling down her temple seemed less appealing that laying on her couch and munching on her favorite snacks.

She was hoping to spend the weekend with him since school's starting to keep him busy and keep him at his dorms doing last minute work. She had joked a lot about how he should start paying rent because he was around so often but now that he showing up less and less, Seojung admits that she's missing presence a lot. She doesn't care that she's biting back her words. She had become accustomed to Jeongguk staying over almost every day of the week that it's odd not to wake up only to realize that he was hogging the blanket.

She can't even enjoy her leisure in peace, wondering if he had enjoyed the hike and if he's just resting right now. What if something happened to him? What if he tripped and fell and had to be rushed to the hospital, and that's the reason why he hasn't been able to call her all day? She asks Arai this, who's sitting next to her on the couch stressed because she forgot she has a paper due tomorrow.

The girl glares at her and tells her to stop worrying (because it's all Seojung has been doing the past hour) and that if her boyfriend truly loves her, he'll show up on her doorstep bearing gifts as an apology. Loosen up, Arai says, because this one of the rare times her boyfriend is not attached to her hip, so she should treasure every second of it.

Arai has a point, except Seojung can't really see herself feeling content and relaxed when she has no idea how Jeongguk's doing. That boy has taken up so much of her life, so much of her being that she both loves and hates him for it. As far as she knows, Jeongguk might be enjoying his free time unlike her, so she refrains from picking up her phone and calling him for the nth time.

Arai is in the middle of saying that she wants to dye her hair back to her original color (dark brown) when the doorbell rings. Seojung has never jumped from the couch so fast, almost tripping as she runs to the door but doesn't miss the sigh Arai gives her, muttering a low "couples" under her breath.

Seojung opens the door ready to nag at him for going radio silent on her, but her hopes are crushed when she's met with the face that stands in front of her.

"Little sister!" Jimin chirps excitedly, sporting a grin that makes his eye disappear. If only Seojung could mirror his brother's excitement. She lets out a disappointed sigh before slowly closing the door again but Jimin jams his foot between the opening before it can fully shut. "Hey, that's rude."

"What do you want?" it's not her intention to come off bitter, but she's disappointed that Jeongguk's not the one who's here. She's been two whole days for him, what's so hard about coming over just to make sure she knows he's alive? She'd be content with just a text, but the ones she sent him have all been ignored.

"What, I can't drop by just because I want to check in on my favorite sister?"

"I'm your only sister," she reminds him.

"You're the smart one in the family, we get it. But I meant it, I'm just stopping because i happened to be going down the street and... who's that?" Jimin cranes her neck to look at the person over her shoulder. When she glances at her friend, the red-haired girl is smiling and waving from the couch.