17: visite

ACT 2 — SCENE 8
SHE VISITS.

SEOJUNG CAN'T believe she spent around two hours sleeping on Taehyung's shoulder throughout the whole train ride just as much as she can't believe she's actually going home with him. Although they would be staying at their respective houses, it's still just an inconvenient thing to do, bringing him along. She woke up blushing an hour ago, but Taehyung was as nonchalant as ever.

Setting thoughts of Taehyung aside for a while, Seojung looks out the window of her cab feeling joyed that she's back home again. It's only been a few months but her heart is too attached to Busan for her to not miss the city. Taehyung doesn't mirror her excitement. In fact, his whole expression has been grim the second the train arrived at the station. But knowing his history here, she wouldn't be surprised if he actually loathes his hometown. Her mind wanders to the day before Taehyung left for Seoul two years ago and saying something about never going to miss here ever. The memory is always fresh in her head because it's the first time he hugged her, and her sixteen-year-old self couldn't let the feeling go.

They've come a long way, she and Taehyung. From being just friends to bonding over one summer and becoming close friends, to being separated for two years until fate decided to make their paths cross again. Seojung doesn't know if she's delighted that he's somehow become a recurring and constant part of her life, doesn't know if she'll ever be able to escape his presence anytime soon. At least living across him brought her little but significant interactions that made her get used to being around him. Sixteen-year-old Seojung would've laughed at the possibility of being this close to Taehyung, being friends with him again. But what are the odds, right?

The familiar streets of her old neighborhood soon come into view. It's comforting to see the same old trees, sidewalks, and houses again even though it's getting late and the sky is already starting to get dark. Her stomach rumbles from having had nothing to eat since lunch. Taehyung had insisted on getting a meal before they head home, but Seojung made the mistake of saying no because she felt tired and longs for her own bed.

They immediately part ways upon arriving without much being said as both are feeling quite drained. Taehyung bids her goodbye, yawning as he gives her a small wave while walking to his house. He mutters something about promising to hang out tomorrow, which Seojung only smiles at before walking to her own door.

It doesn't take her more than two knocks before she is engulfed in her mother's warm and squeezing and embrace. The woman squeals as if it's been several years instead of several months her daughter had last been here. Stepping inside her home dips Seojung in a pool of glee. In the living room, she finds her dad reading the newspaper with the TV on as he always does every Friday night. Her little apartment in Seoul feels nice—perfect, actually, but nothing can ever compare to the ease her childhood home brings her.

Frantic barking suddenly erupts out of nowhere, coming from none other than Haeko, and soon the not-so-small dog comes running from the kitchen into the living room, jumping excitedly upon spotting her presence. Seojung picks him up and coddles him, but he's too hyperactive for his own good so she sets him back down after a few seconds.

She stays downstairs and chats for a while, lets her mother complain about the house being too quiet now that she and Jimin have moved out. Guilt washes over her upon realizing that forty percent of the reason behind her visit is only because she needs to get some files regarding her birth mother, and she would've never thought about visiting if it weren't for her decision to find her mother again.

Pushing the thoughts aside, Seojung excuses herself to her room after giving her mom and dad a quick kiss on the cheek respectively. She flings herself onto the bed and relishes the feeling of her comfy bed.