Sick

"Valentina!" My mom groaned from her bedroom.

"I'm coming!" I yelled back. I rushed into her room with a hot bowl of soup and her medicine. "Here" she sat up and took her ten daily cancer treatment pills.

"Have you decided?" She asked weakly.

"No mama, I just don't think I'm ready" I spoke softly.

"Baby, I want to get better" she whispered.

"I know and I'm doing everything I can for money but..."

"You're scared?"

"Having sex with a stranger doesn't make you scared?"

"I'd have sex with a billion strangers if it meant I was better" she chuckled.

A tear fell from my eye. "I'm so sorry mama, that I'm being selfish. I'll do it, I'll do anything to further your research I'm so sorry"

"It's ok baby, it's your decision just make it fast"

"Ok" I sighed. "I'll do it" She smiled faintly and took another sip of her soup. "I'll call John later and tell him to post the website"

"Do it now" she said a little to fast.

"Why?"

"So more people see it"

"Ok" I said unsure. I pulled out my phone and waited until John answered.

"Hey John, um, I've decided that... I'm gonna do it, you can post the website. Yes call me when our done- oh...you did it already? Ok well thanks. I'll talk to you later"

I looked at her soup. I put my foot into that soup and she was just letting it get cold. "Thank you baby" she kissed my hand.

I smiled faintly. "Keep eating" I stood up and walked out the room.

Three years ago my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was devastated she thought she was going to die within the next few months, so she quit her job and spent all her money doing things she has always wanted to do. The bad thing is she didn't save any money, so we're in debt now, poor and I'm supporting both of us and paying all the bills. I just hope she had a good time wasting all her money because she won't be having any fun anytime soon.

"I'm going to work" I yelled from the living room.

"Alright baby, be safe I love you"

"Love you too" I said before I slammed the door.

I walked to the car and drove to foot locker. It was a long, dreary day. Talking to customers, arranging boxes, helping people find the right kind of sneakers to mask their foot funk. t's really a lot sometimes.

After I'm done with work and I'm driving home I get a call from John. "I put up the website and were holding the auction tomorrow"

"Tomorrow? Isn't that a little soon?" I said turning down the music.

"Yea but people want you, Valentina, very rich people"

"Ok" I sigh.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

"Would you be alright?"

"Well..." He chuckled. "If I was a virgin and people wanted to pay for me I'd be happy"

"I know you would. I don't want to do this" 

"Then don't" 

"But my mother would die"

"Would that be a tragedy?" 

"Maybe for some people"

"Not enough or even people that matter" he smacked. It sounded like he was eating something.

I sighed. "She practically begged me to do this she doesn't want to die"

"Neither do prisoners"

I looked at my phone like it was him. "She's not a prisoner"

"You keep telling me that but I don't believe you, I'm sure the woman's correctional facility is missing someone"

I laughed. "Whatever, I gotta go" I said as I pulled into my driveway.

"Alright see you later"

"Bye" I hung up the phone and walked into the house. I checked on my mother and she was knocked out. I picked up her bowl of soup I gave her this morning. She didn't even eat it.

I wash it off and put it in the dishwasher and go take a shower. I twist my hair and put my bonnet on and try to sleep.

I can't believe people want me so bad. I mean hosting an auction already it's crazy, they might not even want me though. They'll say I'm ugly or too fat or I don't know they'll think of something but I'm not excited for tomorrow. I wanted to fall in love with someone and have sex when I'm ready but I'm not ready yet.