No Control

Joshua

8 hours. Her surgery is 8 hours long. I sat there bouncing my knee up and down and checking my watch excessively.

John walked across the street to get a coffee. I hope he get hit by a bus or something. I really don't like him.

I look down the hall and I see him coming this way. I groaned and wiped my face.

"Look man you can really go home, I'll be here" I say.

He sits down in the chair across from me and sips his coffee. "I'm staying"

"It's 8 hours"

"I am staying" he said slowly. "Why don't you leave, find someone to fuck while you're gone?"

"I don't do that anymore. I'm marrying her"

"Yea right, like she'd ever say yes to you"

"She loves me more than you and you're just friends"

He scoffed and took another sip of his coffee. "V knows... so, you can't threaten me anymore"

"You need a girl to protect you now, Lewis?" I teased.

"Fuck you"

"Right" I chuckled. "It's all your fault you know" he looked up and raised his eyebrows. "April is a free spirit you were just holding her back"

"I wasn't holding her back. I didn't make her do anything she didn't want to do"

"Well now you're all alone and sad"

He shook his head. "You're a dick"

"You're a dick. Thanks to you Valentina is mad at me"

He smiled and sipped more coffee. "How come?"

"She thinks I'm still like that"

"You are"

"I'm not. I have morals and values and responsibilities. I'm going to have a wife" I looked at him.

He peered at me and frowned. "Are you seriously going to propose?"

"Yes and you can't stop me"

"When are you going to do it?" He sighed.

"When she's done with the surgery, I was thinking dinner-"

"No" he stopped me. "She hates going out to eat"

"No she doesn't" he doesn't even know what he's talking about we go out to eat all the time.

"She does, she doesn't like anything too big, or too fancy, she hates getting dressed up and she even hates leaving the house sometimes"

I got quiet and thought for a while. "Then what should I do?"

"Didn't you just move houses?" He asked.

"Their moving me in as we speak"

"Then do it there"

"That's so simple" I frowned.

"She likes simple. She's a simple person, besides she hasn't seen the place so it'll a surprise to her"

I nodded accepting his advice. "Thanks man"

"I live to serve" he said sadly as he stared off into space.

I know he likes Valentina. Why wouldn't he? Valentina is everything anyone could've ever asked for. But he can't have her and he knows that.

I'm not giving her up without a fight and when she gets done with this surgery, she's going to come out alive and she's going to be my fiancé.

My phone rings loudly, startling me. "Hello?" I answered it quickly.