Family Foes

Valentina

"How many places do we have to look at?" I whined as I put my feet up on the dashboard.

"I scheduled two for today and four more tomorrow"

"I'm going to work tomorrow" I said.

"No you are not, Valentina" He said sternly as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel.

"I'm gonna be loaded with work if I don't get back soon" he nodded but didn't say anything. "So I'm going to work"

"You're not" He laughed. "That's the end of it, I don't wanna hear it" He parked the car and we got out. I went to get the baby from the car while he went inside.

Callie was smiling and had drool all over her face. I took a cloth and wiped her mouth then picked her up.

"Hi baby" I whispered as a I carried her inside.

When we got inside Joshua was already talking to the real estate agent. I looked around and the place was beautiful. It was a huge town home that looked like a whole house.

Four bedrooms with a full bathroom in each one. A balcony inside and outside, an even bigger living room and don't even get me started on the kitchen.

"Look around babe" Joshua said to me as I stood there.

I headed upstairs to get a look at the bedrooms, going from room to room and deciding if I liked them. After a while of walk-in in circles Joshua called me and we left.

"I didn't like it" he said as we got in the car. "And I don't like the area"

"It was nice" I said. "It was really big though"

"It has to be huge, you haven't met my whole family" he smiled a little. "Maybe we can meet your family"

I looked over at him and he was staring at me.

"Um... my mom is all the family I have" I said turning around to check on the baby. "Besides, I like your family"

"But aren't your curious of meeting your father?"

"Are you curious of meeting yours?" I snapped back.

He got quiet. "My situation's different"

"How?" I sighed. Here we go again. Another argument. He has a strong power for ruining moments.

"It just is" he shrugged.

"Tell me how it's different and I'll drop it"

"Valentina, I really don't want to argue with you" he tensed up.

"How is this arguing?" I raised my voice. "I asked a question and if you can't answer it then I shouldn't have to answer yours"

"Don't get smart with me" He remained calm. He kept moving his head, looking at me briefly then the road.

"I just don't care about my family okay?"

"So thats it, you don't care?"

"That's not what I mean, stop it"

"Then what?" he got quiet.

"Because I don't want to meet the man that ruined my mother? What's wrong with that?" He stayed quiet. "Why don't you meet your real parents?"

"I already have a mother and father that love me?"

"And I don't?"

"I didn't say that"

"Well, John loves me and that's all the love I need"

"Valentina you know that I love you, you know that"

"Well if you loved me you'd understand that I just don't care enough about him to wonder where he's at"

"I'm sorry-"

"Maybe you should meet your real parents" I cut him off. "Then maybe you'll stop wondering about my father"

He didn't say anything after that. He just shut up, which is good because I can't stand him right now. He stopped the car at the next house and got out the car, slamming it behind him.

I looked at Callie and chuckled. "Somebody's mad, huh?"

She giggled and squirmed in her seat. "Isn't he mad" I said in a baby voice.

I took her out her car seat and put her in my lap. "Are you hungry, baby?"

I reached in the diaper bag and pulled out a baby bottle and a blanket. Stepping out the car and walking inside, I struggle to find my way to the kitchen. "Hi" a tall, scrawny, light skinned man approached me.

"Hi" I said as I smiled back at him.

"I'm James" he stuck his hand out.

"I'm Valentina"

"Nice to meet you, are you looking at the house"

"Yes um- did you see a man come in?"

"No ma'am, I didn't"

"I'm waiting for him, I saw him come in here" I looked around. "This house is beautiful" I said while readjusting Callie on my hip. "Do you kind of I heat this up?"

"Of course not, follow me" He turned around and I followed him. We went through a dining room, a living room and down a hall just to get to the kitchen. "Here we are"

I ran the hot water and out the bottle underneath it. Drool started pouring out of Callie's mouth and I struggled to hold her.

"May I?" James asked.

"Sure"

He took Callie out of my arms and held her close to his chest. "She's beautiful, what's her name?"

"Callie"

"Is she yours?" he asked as politely as he could.

"Oh no, I'm just babysitting" I chuckled.

I turned off the water. "Well if you do ever have kids this house is very kid-friendly" he mentioned.

"Is it really?" I chuckled. "How so?" I asked as I continued messing with the bottle.

"Well the plugs for one are in high places so the... uh" James looked past me and focused his eyes on something.

I turned around and it was Joshua standing behind me. He reached for Callie and James handed her over.

"I'm Joshua" He stuck out his hand.

"James, I was just telling your wife here how kid-friendly the house was" He stayed calm and polite, no matter how mean and difficult Joshua was being.

"Oh yea? Well let's have a look around"

James turned and started talking about the house. Joshua looked at me and frowned. He's mad at me for saying what I said earlier I'm assuming.

I looked at Callie and Josh was holding her like she was a football while she just sat there confused kicking her little feet.

I took her and started feeding her as I followed James and Joshua through the house.

I really don't wanna get back home, Joshua is gonna give me hell.