Chapter 12: A bitter truth

The more time passesI’m only thinking about you

I’m only thinking about you

-all I do

"This is where they're living?" Changkyun scanned the motel with sharp eyes. It seemed pretty decent and made me question how in the world they could afford it. Oh well, I think I paid their expense.

"Follow me." He took the lead after asking me what room they were in. It felt like a quest, and I was still in a daze, not sure of what was happening here.

After knocking on the door several times, aunt opened with Kyungmi peering her head from the back. Kyungmi, my cousin, was only two years older than me. Despite that, we never even talked much.

"What brings you here?" Aunt's expression hardened seeing me but she moved aside from the door anyway. Only then her eyes fell on Changkyun. "Hello, ahjumma," he greeted politely with a smile.

"H-hello." Aunt seemed a little flabbergasted but greeted him back.

"Let's get to the point." Changkyun took a sharp inhale before he spoke again. "I'll appreciate it if you don't ask Minjae for money."

Kyungmi and aunt glanced at each other secretively, but that didn’t fail to notice our gaze. "Who is he?" Kyungmi's voice dripped off annoyance.

"Minjae works for him," Aunt whispered close to her ear but we were all able to listen.

Changkyun looked at me then stared back at them again. "You're pressuring her into give you money, aren’t you? Moreover, you've hit her multiple times."

Aunt gasped loudly, all of a sudden, her eyes almost falling out of her sockets. She held her mouth and looked at us. "How could you say that? I raised her like my own child!"

"Can't you see mom?" Kyungmi echoed. "She brainwashed those people to get pity from them."

Changkyun didn't say anything and straight up grabbed my arm. He then lifted up my shirt's sleeve, revealing an old scar on my upper arm. "If my guess is right, you did this."

I looked up at him, surprised. His teeth were gritted, eyes sharp and nostrils flared. How did he know that?

"That's her birthmark," Kyungmi yelled throwing her hands in the air.

"That's definitely not a birthmark. Minjae, tell me. Did your aunt do this to you?" He asked in a determined voice, staring right into my eyes.

My lips were trembling. I looked at aunt who was watching me with a venom filled stare. Words wouldn't leave my mouth.

But I nodded hesitantly indicating that she did hit me. It happened when I was ten years old. Aunt was so angry because I got into a fight with Kyungmi, she took a hot iron stick she used for cooking and pressed it against my skin. Even the memory was making me flinch.