Chapter 2: A place to stay

Don't worry, I'm your manI can be your hero

I can be your hero

-hero

Contrary to what I'd thought, living life disguised as a boy wasn't less complicated either.

I stood in front of the landlord's place after I was done with all my part time jobs for the day, the last one at the convenience store around the corner. My muscles were sore and my eyes were droopy, all I wanted was to feel the warmth of my bed against my body.

But even that seemed like too much of a luxurious thought as now I was standing in front of the landlord's place, slamming on his door to wake him up this late at night whilst the rain hit me harshly. The thin hoodie covering my head wasn't helping. All my belongings laid helplessly by my side on the ground.

After what it felt like hours the man in his forty's finally opened the door, his sleepy eyes annoyed, probably for waking him up this late at night. He put a hand under his shirt and scratched his belly roughly. "What?" He barked.

"Why did you throw out all my stuff?" I could barely speak with my body trembling in cold. The man furrowed his eyebrows raking my face with his raccoon-like eyes.

"Don't you know we don't allow bringing girls or prostitutes here?" He said with pure annoyance.

I hugged my body with my arms, an already failed attempt to give me at least some kind of warmth since the rain never stopped. "I didn't bring a girl. Come on, mister! Don't joke with me it's already late at night!"

The man looked at my trembling lips, white face and whole body shivering in cold but it didn't seem to do anything to him.

"Doing it when I'm not here is one thing, but you can't deny the dresses and skirts I'd seen hanging from your balcony!" He fumed as he spoke, words harsher than the rain itself.

"But those are-"

My clothes, the ones Byul gave me. But I couldn't say it.

He waited a tad second to hear me out but seeing me silent, searching for words he slammed the door shut on my face. Leaving me soaked and cold in the rain.

"Mister, open the door! I can explain I-" I banged on the door for the last time and then gave up.

I shouldn't have washed the clothes when I was never going to wear them anyway.

One foolish step, and it had me homeless at a rainy lone night with nowhere else to go.

That's why I was thinking- no, I just always knew that boys don't live an easy life either. Because this wasn't a practice or a lifestyle, this is how I grew up, like a boy.

I was an orphan with only an aunt to take care of me who wasn't well off. Her husband had left her when she had a daughter to feed just my age.

So I didn't have the luxury to like girly stuff, not even grow my hair because I'd have to spend on it to take care of that long hair. It was already shameful of me to ask my poor aunt for money and care who already had it hard. The day I turned eighteen I left, turning twenty now and all these jobs, they were not for me.

They were for paying my aunt back.

But living alone in such a big city when I'd lived my whole life in the outskirts of Seoul, it was good that people mistook me as a boy. Being a girl no one would give me the jobs that needed strength, nor would I'd been able to find a place to stay.

I smiled all of a sudden remembering my high school days. Those were hard days, but the memories were bittersweet.

With my boyish looks and aura, the girls loved me.

But the boys, even the guy I had a crush on laughed at me, made me a joke in the whole school when I confessed to him.

"Did you get thrown out of your place?" A sudden voice asked, making me snap back from my reverie.

I looked back to find Kihyun, the nagging mom standing in his sleeping pajamas which were brown colored, almost contrast to the dark night as he looked down on me.

That's when I realized I was sitting on the porch of the mansion, the place where I'd been working at afternoon every day for the last three months.

The pitter patter rain fell, not harsh like before but drizzling. My wet hair stuck with my forehead, soaked hoodie felt too heavy to carry.

Still, it felt better that I wasn't that cold anymore. The rain wasn't hitting me now that I was sitting on the porch.

But when did I even get here? I noticed all my belongings were there too with me.

"Are you okay?" I could only make out his frame in the low light, couldn't see his face clearly. But was his voice always this calming?

I wanted to say I was sorry, that I didn't know how I got here, that I was going to leave soon after the rain had stopped but I couldn't-

Where would I go to? I didn't even have a place to spend the night.

"Are you crying?" He said and it sounded more like a statement than a question.

I wasn't, I wanted to say but again, couldn't.

He took a step closer to me and I could see his face clearly, how his dark brown locks fell on his forehead messily, how his eyes felt like they contained an ocean. "You can stay here if you don't have any place to stay."

His voice sounded like a melody against the monotonous sound of pouring rain.

Silence, but he took one of my bags that was lying on the ground.

"Stay with us." Now it sounded more like a demand.

---
A/n: okay but my brother hates kpop so much but he loves hero and tresspass by monsta x!

Also, two days ago I was watching the jealousy mv on my tv and my mom came in, she was in awe.

She told me, "how the hell is it possible that all of these dudes are handsome? Just look at that guy-" she pointed at our skinny legend Hyungwon. "His body looks gorgeous!"

I was dumbstruck honestly.