Chapter 1: Hurry

Ugh. I regret everything. I mentally whined as I slammed my fist onto my alarm clock's button, muting the irritating shriek it had been unleashing. With groggy movements and stiff joints plagued with sleepiness, I yanked my comforter back and sat up, my bare feet brushing the lush carpet. Yawning, I reached over and snatched my glasses up from my bedside table, setting them on the bridge of my nose, clearing my blurry vision. The sun was just beginning its slow hike up into the early morning sky, its dim gleam trickling in through my mesh curtains. I could tell it was painting the clouds with soft brassy golds and bronzes as birds took flight into the welkin, their silhouettes growing distant. It was peaceful. I could have remained like that all my life...until I took a look at my alarm clock.

"Holy shit!" I panicked, hopping off my bed and scurrying to the bathroom. "I'm gonna be late! Ugh, and on my first day too."

I fumbled around, peeling my pajamas off and flinging them to the tile floor, setting my glasses on the counter before turning on the shower head, the humidity from the moisture weighing down on me. I hurried into the shower, allowing the beads of water to trickle down my bare body, engulfing me in their warmth. The water's force strummed against my skin, massaging away any stiffness from the night and waking me up. I slathered my hair up with my favorite shampoo and scrubbed my flesh clean with a rag doused with moisturizing body-wash before rinsing it all off under the squealing current. Afterward, I shut the water off, dried myself with a clean towel, and scurried back to my room with my glasses in tow, the air conditioning kissing my warm skin with its icy embrace.

I took another glance at my clock and squealed, "Eek! I gotta hurry!"

I flung my towel to the floor and swung open my closet door. My original plan was to get up earlier and attempt to dress somewhat cute, but I had forgotten to set my alarm for an earlier time, so I was left scrambling. I danced into a pair of cotton panties and yanked my best pair of denim skinny jeans off their hanger and shimmied into them. The fabric clung to my curves perfectly and was verily comfortable from years of being worn. Sure, there were a few snags and small holes at my knees, but that didn't bother me. I wasn't willing to part ways with them. From there I quickly shrugged my favorite pink bra on. It wasn't fancy, but it was comfortable, which always made me feel good. I rubbed some deodorant on my armpits and pulled my favorite band shirt over my head. Again, nothing fancy. It was just some black fabric with the band's logo, but I still loved it. It was a little loose and baggy on me, but I didn't mind. I slipped on my new pair of converse, slid on some rubber bracelets, and raked a brush through my damp hair. With my glasses on my nose, bag in my grasp, and the minutes ticking by, I was ready. Or, at least as ready as I was going to be.

"Well, Ryuk," I chirped as I made my way into my living room, "today's my first day. Wish me luck pal."

My bearded dragon, Ryuk shifted his head at me and blinked. I knew he couldn't understand a word I was saying, but I took that as him wishing me luck. I swung open the door to my apartment and took a deep breath, smelling the crisp morning air. The sun's early rays beat down on me as the wind combed through my hair, driving the scent of flowers to my nose. Birds chirped as cicadas sang their keen songs, the distant traffic filling the empty spaces of silence. I tighten my grasp on my bag's strap and smiled.

"Today is the first day of the rest of my life," I smirked. "Today is gonna be a great day, dammit."

**Hello, all you lovelies! So, I know that this chapter doesn't really have a ton going on for it, but I didn't like the thought of skipping to where it is you're going when I could just tell you in the next chapter. I know this was dull, but I promise it'll get WAY better! First chapters have always been just starters, in my opinion, so give it time! Anyways, thank you so much for reading! Feel free to comment and/or leave a vote. Chapter two will be up Friday! Thank you again! :)**

-Noel Ross

P.S. Do ya like the bearded dragon idea? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it'd be cool and really tie in with what I have planned. I've also always wanted one. So, yeah. Hehe. :)