Chapter 14: Knock, Knock

I woke up that Friday morning before my alarm to an angry sky choking out the sun and my windows rattling from the low thunder. The rain had just begun to trickle down, fat droplets sliding down the glass like boats in a river. I placed my glasses on my nose and peeked at my alarm clock. I had about an hour before my first class, but I didn't feel like going. I had received not a lick of sleep that night, causing my body to ache and throb. I felt like someone had carelessly dumped a load of bricks on me, which certainly did not feel good.

I yawned and stretched, my joints cracking away stiffness. I went ahead and shut my alarm off before it could sound and shuffled to the restroom. I flung my pajamas to the floor and set my glasses on the counter before turning on the shower head and jumping in. The hot water strummed against my naked body, massaging away the aching. I washed my hair and body thoroughly before just standing under the squealing current. Yeah...I'm not going to my classes today. I decided. I'll just face Professor Ackerman's wrath Monday. I choked. In my exhausted mind, I had forgotten about the day before. How he'd made me stay after class. How close he was to me. How my heart raced against my chest. Then, how foolish I had been. How idiotic I had become.

A twinge of pain jerked at my chest as a lump formed in my throat. I pounded my balled fists against one of the shower walls as a tear slid down my cheek. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I mentally wailed. Why the hell am I feeling this way? What is this? I was furious with myself and utterly fed up. I hung my head low, allowing the warm water to trickle down my body as tears streamed from my eyes. I couldn't tell you why I was crying...I couldn't tell you why I was even allowing myself to mope around, but I was. Everything hurt -my body, my mind, and my soul. I felt broken and betrayed, but I just didn't understand why. Nothing made sense.

After I finished composing myself I shut the water off and dried myself with a clean towel. I slid my glasses onto my face and made my way to my room. I wasn't in any rush, so I moseyed into my room and flung open my closet door. I shimmied into my bra and panties and then put some deodorant on my arm pits. I searched through my closet until I decided on a faded pair of jean shorts and a basic Tokyo Ghoul t-shirt I had gotten a few years back. I slid on a comfy pair of f/c socks and raked a brush through my hair while blow drying it before pulling it up into a sloppy bun. I took a look at myself in the mirror and frowned.

I'm nothing special. I told myself before shuffling into the living room. I plopped down on the sofa as Ryuk turned his head to face me. He was basking on his favorite rock as he usually did, just blinking at me. I smiled at my scaled baby and let out a sigh. Another roar of thunder vibrated the apartment, but I didn't care. To be honest, I never had been afraid of storms, so I merely shrugged it off as I began to scroll through my phone. I found myself becoming lost in countless Blue Exorcist memes and BTS MVs when I glanced at the time. I had successfully avoided my lit class as it would have been coming to an end right then.

I mentally gave myself a pat on the back and climbed to my feet. I skipped to the kitchen and began to dig through the cabinets, searching for something to make. After what felt like forever I did find something and got busy cooking. My stomach growled as the smell of the food swirled up and into my nostrils. I finished cooking and plated the food before taking a seat at the nearby table. I ate my meal in silence, just staring at the blank wall across from me. I allowed my thoughts to take off, paying no mind to how far they went. I found myself returning to the events of the prior day, still kicking myself for being so stupid. I sighed a huff of frustration and stood up, cleaning my mess. I had just finished scrubbing the last dish when I heard a knock at my door.

"Hmm? Who could that be?" I asked myself.

I lightly jogged to the door and peeked through the peephole, my eyes widening in disbelief. No way. No way in hell. I swallowed. How the hell did he find me? My hands began to tremble as my heart pounded my ribs. My breath became hitched in my throat as my mind went blank. It felt like I was in a dream...a very, very strange dream.

**Hello my sweet lovelies. I know this chapter's short, but I didn't wanna make it too long. Don't worry, the next chapter will be longer (Monday). Thank you to the moon and beyond for reading! Feel free to leave a comment and/or vote!! <3**

-Noel Ross