Chapter 22: Stroll

"We don't talk to that girl."

"Why not?"

"Didn't you hear the rumors?"

"No."

"I heard she's some freak of nature."

"Yeah. I heard she's some product of an affair between a wealthy government official and his escort."

"That's not what I heard. I heard she was adopted by a drug whore and her abusive husband."

"No, no, no. I was told she was the one who slept around with guys in exchange for drugs. Some say she got pregnant by one of 'em and was tossed out by her folks."

"What? I was always told she was an orphan runaway."

"Me too."

"That's not true. Word is she is some kinda nymphomaniac."

"Whoa. Dude, really?"

"That wouldn't surprise me. She reeks with the stench of a seasoned slut."

"Right? But, who would want her?"

"Well, she's easy, so anyone not wanting to work hard would be all about that. Can't say I'd go for her myself, though."

"Same. I don't want some old perv's sloppy seconds."

"Me neither."

"She's a slut."

"Skank."

"Whore."

"Slimy bitch."

"She's a waste of oxygen."

"She should just die."

I woke up in the middle of the night with cold sweat beading on my forehead as the cool air-conditioning kissed me. My body was stiff and plagued with aches and pains from the prior day...from my crying fit. I could barely even move, but I managed to rotate my head towards my alarm clock. It was 3:30 in the morning. I sighed and reached over to turn on my bedside lamp before setting my glasses on my face. I gingerly hiked out of bed and shuffled to the restroom. I quickly did my business and washed my hands before meeting my reflection.

I looked like complete and utter shit. The whites of my e/c eyes were red and bloodshot with dark circles under them. My h/c locks were knotted and matted to the sides of my face and the back of my neck, the grease on each strain shining in the artificial gleam of the light. My lips were dried and cracked, most likely as a result of me blubbering for hours while the skin beneath my nose was red and dried from all the snot. Even my pajamas fell awkwardly on me. I was a mess, but what shook me most was the view of a freshly new trail of tears that had dried not too long ago.

I brought my fingertips to the smooth skin of my cheeks and brushed where the trails were. They were warm and dried for the most part, though my eyes were still glossy. My nose was stuffy as if I had been sobbing again and my chest ached. I had cried in my sleep...I had cried because of the dream.

I squeezed my eyes shut and turned away, peeling my pajamas off and flinging them to the floor. I set my glasses on the counter and hopped in the shower just as I turned on the showerhead. The squealing current took me into its warm embrace and cradled me as I remained motionless. The warm water felt good against my aching body as it ran down my tender skin. I washed and rinsed my hair and frame, doing my best to rid the memories. After I was clean I shut the water off and just stood there for a brief moment, just allowing the steam to clear my sinuses. Afterwards, I yanked the curtain back and dried myself with a new towel.