Chapter 15: Predictable

My heart leaped into my throat as another audible thud banged against my door. My knees wobbled as my breath grew shallow. He's...he's actually here...how? I swallowed nervously. My fingers twitched as they brushed against the smooth brassy knob. I really didn't want to open the door, but something just told me he knew that I was in there. Crazy as it sounds, I knew that he knew he was at the right apartment.

"Oi. Open up the door," a stern voice demanded as another knock banged against the door. "Hello?"

I swallowed and took a deep breath, my body rebelling against my wishes as I opened the door. There before me stood a very irritated looking Professor Ackerman. His steel orbs glared at me, his thin lips pressed into a hard line, not a hint of emotion besides annoyance written across his features. The thunder rumbled as the wind combed through his inky black locks, his scent being driven to me. As usual, he smelled like that exquisite lavender that I treasured so dearly, but I was on edge. He looked so frustrated, but something caught my eyes. In one of his hands, he held a drink tray with two cups of some steaming beverage and in the other a small brown paper bag.

I blinked at him, utterly confused when he spoke, "Are you going to invite me in or leave me out in the storm?"

"O-oh," I stuttered, moving aside to let him in. "Please, come in."

"Tch," he murmured as he made his way into my apartment.

He stepped into the living room, glancing around. I watched as his eyes darted from one part of the room to the other. He wiped his index finger against my coffee table before placing the treats he brought down and stood straight up again. He crossed his arms against his tight chest and shuffled around the room, his eyes landing on Ryuk.

"What the hell is that?" he asked, pointing at my sweet lizard baby.

I bit my bottom lip, giggling, "He's my bearded dragon, Ryuk."

Professor Ackerman lifted a brow and bent down closer to Ryuk's tank, "So, you like reptiles?"

I shrugged, "I pretty much like animals in general."

He turned to face me, "How? They're so messy."

"Only if you don't keep up on maintaining their cages," I pointed out.

He peeked at Ryuk one more time, who blinked up at him and shifted his attention elsewhere. His eyes traced the bare walls of my apartment until they landed on me. Within an instant, I felt the breath in the lungs become hitched and my heart skip a beat. That same sensation I always experienced whenever I was near him overtook me, causing my limbs to shiver. Another snap of thunder crackled outside, causing my windows to rattle. I had never felt so out of place in my own home, but at that moment, I felt like I was in a whole different world.

"You skipped class today," he finally said, his stoic expression never changing. "Care to explain that?"

"I, uh...I didn't feel well today," I answered. It was both a lie and a truth in a way. I had felt like shit, but I wasn't ill. "I didn't wanna -."

"You don't look sick to me," he scoffed, walking closer to me. "In fact, you look just fine."

I chewed on my bottom lip, my nerves bubbling. I could feel my anxiety growing with each second that ticked away. He continued to walk closer to me, the hefty material of his shoes knocking on my floor. Finally, he halted in front of me, his metallic orbs burning my skin. His body heat radiated against me, my cheeks flushing scarlet as a result. I wanted to back away, to create some distance between us, but my legs refused to move. I was paralyzed and helpless.

"So, tell me," he continued, his silky voice heavenly to my ears. "Why did you skip class?"

I nervously replied with a shaky voice, "I'm t-telling you, Professor Ackerman, I was sick."

"Bullshit," he growled, lowering his voice. "You shouldn't lie, Y/N. It's a very unattractive trait to have."

I swallowed, slowly bringing my eyes to his. He was glaring at me, those orbs jabbing at me. His chest rose and fell steadily, as opposed to my own shallow breathing. His arms were still crossed, the sleeves of his shirt rolled up to reveal those throbbing veins. At that moment, something snapped in me. I wanted to badly to...to press my lips to his. To taste his kisses, but I restrained myself. That would have been utterly inappropriate and not professional whatsoever.

I finally found the strength to back away, allowing some distance between us. His eyes remained on me as a diabolical grin sprawled across his lips. He followed, stepping closer to me. Again I backed away and once more he followed. I repeated my movements but again he followed. I felt like a small animal trapped in a corner with nowhere to run or hide. I was helpless.

"Why are you acting so afraid of me?" he questioned, bringing himself closer.

"I'm...I'm not afraid of you," I fumbled. Again, partly a lie and partly the truth. I never saw him as threatening, but I was clueless as to what he was doing.

"Really?" he took another step, which forced me to withdrawal in response. My back hit the wall behind me, leaving me trapped as he continued, "Just yesterday you thought I was going to kiss you."

"I-I never said that," I stammered, my voice mousey and small. "I never said that at all."

"You didn't need to," he uncrossed his arms and placed one hand beside my head as he shoved the other one into his pocket. He leaned in closer to me, his warm breath tickling my ear as he breathed, "I could see it all in your eyes, Y/N."

My heart slammed against my ribs, my body trembled, and my breath became hitched. He was so close to me that I was mentally snapping. A surge of energy vibrated through me, a tingling sensation buzzing between my legs. I tried to lower my face, but he took his free hand and gently grabbed my chin, forcing me to glance up. Those damn gray eyes were boarding into me, searching for something. He parted his lips, his breathing still steady as his warm thumb stroked my bottom lip.

"You're so easy to read, Y/N," he observed, still stroking my lip. "How about -."

Just then, my phone buzzed, alerting me that I had gotten a text message. And just when things weren't confusing enough.

**Ello, ello my lovelies! So sorry if this seems forced/rushed. I'm trying not to make this super, super long. Once again, easier said than done. Oh well. Hope you enjoyed this. Next chapter releases Wednesday! As always, thank you so much my sweet lovelies! Feel free to drop a comment and/or vote! Love you all<3**

-Noel Ross