Chapter 12: Double Dutch Ditcher

I stood outside of Hanji's office, still feeling sick to my stomach. I couldn't push what Professor Ackerman had said to me away. "Don't be foolish, Mooi." The phrase repeated over and over in my mind, sickening me. I mean, I hadn't really known what to expect when he asked me to stay back, but I was still confused. What was I being foolish about? Is he toying with me? I sighed.

"Stupid Levi," I mumbled, knocking on the door. "What the hell does Mooi mean anyway? Idiot."

I waited for a moment or two with no response and then knocked again. Still, no answer. I huffed a sigh of frustration and prepared myself to turn away when Hanji finally flung open the door. I nearly jumped out of my skin as she smiled brightly at me and adjusted her glasses.

"Y/N!" she exclaimed happily. "I wasn't expecting you! Come in! Come in!"

She moved to the side and granted me access to her office. Papers were scattered on her mammoth sized desk and a coffee table in a small seating area tucked in the far end of the room. Empty plastic cups and food wrappers overflowed from her small waste basket as science equipment clutter a table behind her desk. Everything was disorganized and an utter mess. I'm starting to think he didn't want to deliver the packet himself due to all the clutter. I mentally groaned.

Hanji plopped down in her seat and motioned to me, "Please, take a seat!"

I glanced down at the two chairs in front of her desk and noticed they were filled with papers and what appeared to be clothing. If I ever turn in an assignment and she loses it, I'll snap. I twitched.

I pointed at the chairs and Hanji waved her hand dismissively, "Just push that junk onto the floor. No big deal."

I nodded and did as she said before taking a seat. The chair's cushiony material was cold and smooth against any of my exposed flesh, causing chills to race up and down my spine. I situated myself, feeling her gaze watching me. I was growing uneasy with all the staring that day, only intensifying the knot in my stomach. To be honest, I just wanted to go home. I was already missing my math class and was dreading when I'd see the boys. To be frank, I just wanted to disappear. I felt like utter shit.

"So, what brings you here, my sweet?" Hanji asked, lacing her fingers together while flashing a toothy grin.

"Professor Ackerman wanted me to give you this," I pulled out the packet and passed it to her.

She took it and quickly glimpsed through it, "Ah, thank you." She gingerly placed the packet in a drawer and returned to me, "So, are you shorty's errand girl?"

I shook my head vigorously, "No. He just had to be somewhere is all."

"Likely story," she rolled her eyes. "Whatever. He probably has a date or something with Petra."

I felt my heart drop. For some reason, it hurt to hear that. I was taken aback, completely unaware Professor Ackerman was even seeing anyone. That would have explained what he meant. It was foolish of me to even think that my English professor would have any feelings for me, a clumsy nineteen-year-old freshman. Then again, why did I care? I was, as I mentioned, one of his students. Why did it pain me to know he was possibly out lip locking with a woman I had never met? It made no sense to me. I balled my hands into fists, ignoring the sharp pains darting through my palms.

Hanji took note of my silent behavior and lifted a brow, "Are you okay, Y/N? You look a little pale."

I shrugged, fighting my best to hide any emotions, "I think I'm coming down with something. I'll most likely be heading home after this." I tried to smile, adding, "Sorry that I'll miss class."

"You're fine," she sat upright. "I prefer you took care of your health more than anything."

"Thank you," I nodded. "I should be going. Sorry for taking up your time."

I slowly climbed to my feet, my knees wobbling. I wanted to break down and cry, but I couldn't figure out why. Yes, Professor Ackerman was attractive and yes, he had shown kindness to me at the cafe, but that was all. He was, as previously mentioned, my instructor and I, his student. I shouldn't have been that upset or pressed about any of what I'd heard, but I just couldn't shake it. My body felt like a giant hammer had dropped down on me, breaking every last bone in me, shattering all but my pride...or, at least what remained of it.

I reached the door and froze, the stupid nickname Professor Ackerman had given me ringing through my ears. It irked me to no end that I didn't know what it meant. Had he been insulting me all that time or was it less malice than I thought it to be? I turned to Hanji, noticing her watching me.

"What's wrong?" she asked, cocking her head to the side curiously.

I chewed my bottom lip and asked, "By any chance...do you know what mooi means?"

Hanji scratched her chin and began to think, humming, "Hmm. Well, I don't know what it means, but I do know it's Dutch. Is that any help?"

I smiled halfheartedly, "Yeah."

At that, I left, feeling Hanji's eyes burning into my back as I closed the door behind me. Without uttering another syllable, I began my walk home, not caring that I was ditching the rest of the day. All the while I fought back the forming lump in my throat and the flood of tears hiding behind my eyes.

**Hello lovelies! Way shorter chapter today. Sorry about that. Fear not, the next chapter will be up Wednesday! Thank you SOOOOOO much for reading! As always, feel free to drop a comment and/or vote! :)**

-Noel Ross

P.S. The title for this chapter was just a fun little name that popped into my head after I wrote this. I honestly don't know where it came from. X'D Sorry!