L I G H T

The evening is far from over. Arc let go of the oars and let the current carry our boat across the water. None of us dare to make a noise as the fireflies descended, filling the night sky with a glow unique only to them.

Arc's smile lit up his face when his eyes met mine. They sparkled with excitement and some sort of happiness in them that I have never seen in another's eyes. But I bet my eyes are mirroring his. 

I feel so happy and giddy inside. Everything is perfect. The night sky is full of bright stars and the soft glow of the moon illuminates everything around us, bathing everything in a silver glow. The lantern placed in the middle of the boat is the only man-made source of light.

I feel a warm hand slide into mine and I see Arc intertwining our fingers together. I look up into his eyes and see him smiling softly. I smiled back. Sparks fly when his hand touched mine. I don't get why people say they have butterflies in their stomach because I don't feel butterflies. I have a whole damn zoo.

Now I know what Hailee Steinfeld meant.

The boat eventually stopped as the current brought us to a small beach. It almost looked like a lagoon. The boat glided smoothly into the sand and pebbles under us. I look up, but I don't see the night sky above me. Instead, I see leaves and branches of many leaves intertwining to make a natural ceiling above us. Flowers fell softly down onto the water, floating along the current and small waves.

Most of the fireflies have left already, but some still linger. Arc is taking some things out from under the deck. He takes out some wine glasses and 2 cans of coke. I can't stifle the smile that played on my lips when he pours the coke and gives one of the glasses to me.

"Did you seriously bring 2 wine glasses for a date on a wooden boat?" I ask. He wiggles his eyebrows, the grin on his face widening into a smile. 

"Anything for the lady," he says. He raises his wine glass and I link mine to his. 

"To our first date," I say, taking a sip from my glass. Arc seems to be thinking for awhile before he makes his own toast.

"To you, the light that shines so bright you seem to illuminate every dark corner in my life," he says. I gasped. I replay what he said, trying to find a sign of a lie. A falter or pause. But there are none.

How the heck do I reply to that?

"Jess, ever since I bumped into you at school, you've been running around in my mind and I can't seem to make it stop," Arc continues. "I don't know how and I don't know why, but you've intrigued me, Miss Marks. My heart wants you."

Why, dear lord, am I in this situation right now? I have no idea how I feel for Arc. Yeah he's funny and a bit annoying. But that isn't enough for me to decide if I love him.

Arc leans closer, his hand raising to cup my cheek and I am frozen in helpless shock.

"And when I want something," he whispers. "I won't stop until I have it."

My heart just stopped. I swear it did. My breath got caught in my throat and I almost choked and sputtered. His handsome face is so close and my body seems to be overreacting to it.

Arc leans in, closer and closer. If any of us move right now, our lips would touch.

I just had to catch the attention of the big bad boy, didn't I? I just had to. And not just one bad boy. My mind flits to Lucas for a split second.

But isn't this what I wanted? My happy ending with my bad boy prince charming? I spent years building up a reputation for this. So shouldn't I just enjoy it?