L A U G H

I laugh when I'm happy. And I laugh when I'm sad. All I do is laugh. Not because it's genuine. But because laughing means that they didn't get to me. That I'm fine.

So I walk down the hallway with a smile on my face, ignoring the whispers. I feel dead inside, desensitized to whatever they throw my way. The only time I actually feel anything inside my ice block heart is when I'm with Lucas.

Earphones in. Volume up. Ignore the world.

Everything is monotone. Everything is fixed and dead. There is nothing new, nothing exciting. No feelings and no experiences. Yup, welcome to high school, kids.

Lucas got called by the principal. Again. So I'm alone with my thoughts today.

I slump down on my seat at my Math class and instantly my mind shuts off anything around me.

"Kids. We have a new student joining our class today," the teacher says. I groan but put out one of my earphones to listen.

"His name is..."

"... James Cross."

I swear I thought the earth stopped rotating for awhile and time froze.

James. Is. Here.

His green eyes scan the room before landing on me. He smirks smugly, not bothering to introduce himself and made his way to the empty seat beside me. Lucas's seat.

"Introduce yourself please, Mr. Cross," the teacher says. James shrugs nonchalantly.

"I don't feel like it," he says. The other boys snicker while the girls stare at him. Dejavu, anyone?

"Why are all kids these days delinquents?" the teacher mutters under his breath.

"Maybe it's because teachers like you suck at your job," James says with a raised eyebrow.

"Detention, Mr. Cross," the teacher says with a harsh glare on his face. But James just laughs. Right in his face.

"Yeah? And how are you gonna trap me in this class? 'Cause it's not going to be of my own free will," James says with a dark chuckle. My mind darts to Lucas and how he made a scene the first day he's here.

"How about your parent's will?" the teacher threatened. Big mistake. James's eyes hardened and any sign of playfulness vanished from his face.

"If you can call them back from the grave, then I'd be happy to join your detention class," James spat out. His posture is deceptively calm. But his eyes held a crazed expression in them, something he usually hides so well.

"Oh. I-I didn't m-m-mean to-"

"Save it," James snapped at the teacher. The teacher instantly shut up and turned to the board to awkwardly start the lesson.

James's green eyes caught mine and he shot me a playful wink. That was when I realized I was staring at him the whole time.

:

"Where did your pretty little boyfriend go?" James taunted.

I kept on walking, picking up my pace a little. But if James isn't consistent, then he isn't James.

"Go away," I mumbled, gripping the strap of my backpack. My other hand is on the hilt of the pocket knife I keep in my back pocket.

No, I'm not planning to stab him. For now.

"Aw c'mon. We were childhood friends y'know," James says, poking my arm. Some students perked up at his sentence but one glare from me sent them running.