B R A V E

"Look at that whore. I heard she slept with Mr. Travis!"

The whispers filled the corridors. I cringed in disgust when I passed two girls that are eagerly gossiping about yours truly. I'm wearing almost the same outfit as yesterday, with the exception of the beanie and a hoodie instead of my jacket. The hood is up and I hide my face just like I do any other day.

The only thing different is a protective arm wrapped around me as Lucas plays the role as 'possessive boyfriend', apparently. He hasn't let go ever since we got off his bike and he is back to glaring at anyone that stares or even looks my way. He really is the best.

Well, not really. He also has glared and cursed and made death threats to any boy coming anywhere near me. And in a crowded hallway, that is quite a common occurrence. I am pretty sure that no other boy would go anywhere in a 5-meter radius of me.

Except for one boy. A bad boy.

Arc is like a shadow. A brooding figure in every scene, but always just lurking in the background. I caught his eye a few times but even I could feel the tension between us.

No, not sexual tension. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Rumours are spreading more and more. Now, apparently I have slept with every teacher, male and female, and have banged the whole football team. I have also apparently had a boob job done and my butt is totally fake.

Yeah, super accurate. Note the sarcasm.

Me and Lucas slide down to our seats at the back of the class. We're in English Literature together and none of us are complaining.

As we sit down, Lucas pushes his table closer to mine until they are against each other. I look at him, confused.

He just sent me a rakish grin as he sat down right beside me. He then grabs my hand and starts playing with my fingers.

"See? Such a slut." I snap my head towards the girl two seats to my right. I kept my face a blank mask. To show I'm angry means that she wins. And I'm not letting that happen.

"Yeah, bitch? Why don't you take a good look in the mirror first?" Lucas snaps at the girl. The girl's eyes get teary and she looks away. I just recognized her. Allison Mandy. One of Claire's friends.

I smile at Lucas. He smiles back and pecks my cheek. He wraps an arm around my shoulder while the other is fiddling with a pencil.

"Alright class- "

Mr. Broner is cut off by a rather annoying and squeaky voice from my right.

"Sir! Jessica Marks just insulted Allison!" the cheerleader squeaked. I scoff and roll my eyes. Even Mr. Broner (or Mr. Boner, as some have nicknamed him) seems bored.

"And?" Mr. Broner said. The girl gasped dramatically, as if Mr. Broner just killed a puppy or something.

"And she needs to have a punishment! Give her detention!" the girl demanded. I groan inwardly. Why would I have to waste 2 hours of my life sitting in a classroom, of all things?

"If you can't goddamn handle a little insult that Jess never even said, I suggest you go and learn how to," Lucas says. His eyes are glaring daggers into the girl and she seemed to wither under his intense gaze.

"Right," Mr. Broner continues, seemingly very satisfied with how things turned out. "Where were we?"

Point one for me, I guess.

:

Arc has been trying to catch my eye. He tries to talk to me but Lucas would scare him off. I had to step between them 3 times before they start beating up each other.