P H O B I A

The next day, Arc was nowhere to be seen. I felt horrible for telling him to stay away from me. But I can't bring myself to seek him out and apologize.

Lucas has been an amazing boyfriend. He took me on amazing dates and bought me gifts to take my mind off of the bullying.

The teasing and whipers hasn't stopped and doesn't seem to plan to stop anytime soon. I try not to let it get to my head, but it's harder than I thought.

It all reminds me of my first years of highscool. Those years were hell on earth. And I lost my only friend during those years too.

"Earth to Jesse!"

I snapped out of my thoughts and my eyes meet a smilling Lucas. I smile back and take a sip of my milkshake.

The cafe/bookstore we're sitting in is my favorite place in the whole world. They have amazing books and the food is just too good to be true.

Don't even get me started on the chocolate milkshakes.

"Sorry, I zoned out for awhile," I said with a sheepish smile. He smiles even wider and places a small kiss on my cheek, reminding me why I left Arc.

For this. This love and this warmth I feel in my heart.

"It's okay," he says. "What are you thinking about? Is it me?"

He wiggles his eyebrows and I burst out laughing. He hugs me from the side and pulls me closer to him.

"No, you egotistical bastard," I say. He grins, showing off his white teeth.

"Well? Don't keep me in suspense here," he says. I chew on my bottom lip. I trust Lucas. I really do. But it's still weird for me to tell my problems to anyone else.

"It's about James," I admit quietly. He stiffens, his jaw clenching. His eyes harden as they look away for awhile.

"Has he been disturbing you?" he asked, his voice deadly calm. I shake my head, leaning my cheek against his shoulder.

"No, he hasn't. But that's what's worrying me. It's been awfully quiet," I say. Not really though. The glares are enough to remind me everytime I set foot at school.

"Isn't quiet good?" Lucas murmurs. His lips are pressed against my hair in a lingering kiss. The movement of his lips against my hair almost sent me to a frenzy, although I don't know why.

"It's suspicious," I say, trying to keep my voice and breathing even. In. Out. Don't hyperventilate. Keep your dignity, Jesse...

"Cherophobia," he says suddenly. I look at him, my head tilted in confusion.

He smiles sadly. "The fear of being happy because of the thought of something bad coming after," he says. I was about to protest. Or make a joke. Or anything. But I can't joke about a fact like this.

"I feel bad for those people," I say. It's the way my brain tells me it feels bad for myself. I'm cherophobic.

"Don't be," Lucas says, kissing my lips. He intertwines my fingers with his and places a kiss on the back of my hand too.

"They'll find happiness. It's just how happiness works," he continues, a soft smile matching the tender look he's giving me. I don't know how I'm not a puddle right now.

"I hope so," I mumble. Lucas stands up and goes to pay for our drinks. It's another thing about Lucas. He always pays. If I try to pay, I'll end up playing a game of scavenger hunt for my wallet.

"Ready to go, Jesse?" he asks once he's done. I nod and take his outstretched hand.

"Where do you live?" I ask. I just realized I have no idea where my boyfriend lives. I suddenly feel really guilty.