[15]

October 25th 2017

Giggles sounded from behind the door, but he pretended to be asleep. Calvin was a champ at this game.

James and Joseph whispered to one another as one of them pushed open the door a little more while the other snuck through. He bumped into the wardrobe with a 'thump' and his twin giggled. A few moments passed while they pushed each other around until their attention returned to the real reason as to why they had snuck into their uncle's room in the first place.

Calvin peeked through one eye to see one of his nephews climbing onto the bed while the other helped push him up. Now, which was which, he wasn't completely sure. He also wasn't sure how his brother, Kade -their father- was able to tell the difference.

It wasn't long before he could feel two pairs of feet walking on his bed, the sheets rustling after each step they took.

Calvin didn't wait for them to reach his face before he pounced.

They both shrieked and giggled with laughter as their uncle grabbed them, tickling their sides.

It warmed his heart, playing with his nephews. Oh, how he wished he could have a family of his own.

Sighing, he smiled down at them both as they sat on his lap while he sat reclined against the headboard behind him. "So what are you two monsters doing this early in my room?"

James -or was it Joseph? - played with zip on the hoodie that he had slept in while the other grabbed at his hand to get his attention. "Breakfast time." He stated simply, before looking away only to pull at the zip that his brother was preoccupied with.

"Okay," Kade called from the doorway. "It's time for breakfast, you two." He informed both his sons, picking them up from the bed and placing them on the ground. He watched as they both held hands and ran out of the room, walking down to breakfast together.

Calvin hadn't even realised when his brother had entered the room.

Kade leaned against the doorway, his arms crossed against his chest as he looked over his shoulder, making sure that his kids made it down the stairs safely. When they did, he turned to face his brother. "You're really good with them." He complimented Calvin, really meaning it.

Calvin looked up, surprised. He smiled. "They're good kids."

Kade smirked. "I know, they're mine." He chuckled, and pushed himself off the doorframe. He walked over to his brother and sat down on the bed, stretching out his legs in front of him.

A silence engulfed the brothers, but it was far from awkward.

Kade cleared his throat, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. There wasn't really a nice way to say it and beating around the bush wasn't going to do either of them any good. "When do you plan on leaving?" He asked, hoping that he wasn't coming off as too rude.

Calvin quirked an eyebrow. "Why? You're sick of me already?" He teased, though he did know what his brother was trying to say. He was just glad that Kade wasn't been direct.

"Yes."

"Kade!" Calvin exclaimed, appalled. Though he couldn't help but chuckle in amusement.

"I'm just kidding." Kade chuckled. "But I'm also being serious."

He rolled his eyes. "Stop beating around the bush."

Kade nodded, and sighed, running a hand down his face. "How long are you going to hide out here from your wife?" He asked, his tone serious, void of any humour or teasing.