[20]

November 6th 2017

Things had quietened down at the office and despite having to work over the weekend, Calvin felt relaxed and happy. He spent most weekends working anyway, but this weekend had been relatively quiet, much to his joy.

Their previous project with Mr Andrews was a success as the client was very pleased with the design, and while Calvin had handed over the actual building and construction of the desired room to the architectural and interior design management within his company, he would still be overlooking it because he knew what a difficult client Mr Andrews could be. And if need be, he would step in. But for now, he would enjoy the quiet days at the office while they lasted.

Calvin's lips pulled down into a frown as he stared at Audrey who was sat opposite him at the kitchen island.

He had spoken too fast.

Chewing the mouthful of scrambled eggs that was currently in his mouth, Calvin continued to stare at Audrey, in bewilderment regarding the words that had just left her mouth.

Audrey tried not to squirm under his scrutinising glare, waiting for him to finally respond.

Placing his fork down on his plate, Calvin reached for his glass of water and took a few sips. He swallowed what remained in his mouth and dabbed at his mouth with a napkin. His eyes then travelled up from his half-eaten plate of food to his wife, who hadn't even touched her breakfast yet. "I don't understand," was what he said.

Audrey nodded her head in understanding. She knew even before she asked him that he wouldn't be thrilled with the idea, that he would oppose it. And to think that he hadn't even heard the second half of it yet.

She offered him a small smile. His frown deepened at the sight.

Audrey exhaled quietly and cringed on the inside. This wasn't exactly how she pictured this conversation would take place. She had hoped that he would take the idea on his chin and think about it rationally, but alas, that was just wishful thinking. She knew Calvin, and he tended to act out without thinking at times, especially when the decision affected him.

She cringed inwardly before she opened her mouth to repeat what she had said only moments ago. "What I said," she began, suddenly very nervous. "Was that I want to get tested."

"For?" He asked, quirking a questioning eyebrow in her direction.

"To see if I really am infertile." She informed him, her words quick and smooth, perhaps too smooth.

"Like you don't already know." He scoffed and returned to his food. He picked up his food and enjoyed another mouthful of eggs, that being the only thing left on his plate as he had already finished his toast and cereal. He had thought that she was finished speaking, but his head swung up in surprise when she carried on.

"I just want to be sure."

"Okay, so why should I care?"

Audrey resisted the urge to flinch at how cold his words were. "Because I want you to take the test too."

Calvin paused, his hand tightening around the fork in his hand as he stared at Audrey, this time, not because he had misheard, but because he wished that he had misheard. She didn't waver from his smouldering gaze, yet she found herself wishing that she had just kept her mouth shut.

"What did you say?"

She took in a deep breath; she was going to need it. "I think you should take the test too, just to be sure that you're not infertile either." She told him, not looking up to meet his eyes. She was afraid of what she would see in them.