[19]

November 3rd 2017

He came home that night to find her asleep on the couch. Again.

It was nothing new now, to find Audrey sleeping on the sofa with a blanket over her. It had surprised him at first a few weeks ago, but not anymore. Calvin couldn't care less as he shrugged of his suit jacket and dropped it on the armchair across from her. He undid a few buttons and rolled his sleeves up as he walked into the kitchen, absolutely starving.

It had become a routine this past week, for Calvin to come home late every night. But this time, it was because he was actually at work and not lying about it.

The late hours and extra heaps of work that he has had to deal with had put him in a constant sour mood that Audrey often found herself on the receiving end of when they had breakfast together, or if she dared to call him during the day. At night, she was free because she was normally asleep when he got home.

Though Calvin wasn't completely at fault. No, it was the fault of that pesky client of his who shoved demands left, right and centre down the phone line whenever he called, which was at least a couple of times each day.

To say that the past few days had been hectic would be an understatement. But at least it would all be over tomorrow since they were nearly finished, with only very little minor details left to check over and make slight adjustments too. If possible, he would also call up Mr Andrews and inform him that he and his company had completed the project a day early.

That should please the old grouch.

Calvin sighed and yanked at his, tired out of his mind. But above that, he was in dire need of food.

He had found himself skipping both breakfast and lunch this past week as he was too busy to eat. But dinner was something that he looked forward to all day. Especially since he knew that Audrey would have it ready for him for when he got home.

Closing the fridge door, his lips tugged at the corners as he took note of what was on his plate. Steak, mash and some vegetables. The portion sizes were larger than the average helping, just how he liked it.

It took him a few minutes to heat up the food and when he was done, he helped himself to some gravy that was left out on the kitchen counter, awaiting him.

Before he tucked into his food, he glanced down at his wrist watch. The big clock handle struck twelve while the smaller, more delicate one struck two.

It was very late indeed.

Minutes passed in silence and soon, he had finished the meal and had placed the empty plate in the kitchen sink, letting it soak for he did not have the energy to wash, dry and put everything away.

Calvin sat the kitchen island, his stomach happy and his eyes droopy. But he was too tired to sleep. How ironic.

He nursed a small can of beer, wanting to indulge himself yet save himself from a killer hangover in the morning. His eyes wandered over the tiled floors of the kitchen, the white marble almost glistening under the white spotlights above. Soon, his eyes reached the line where the hard tile transitioned into soft, luxurious carpet. The colour wasn't that different, a warm beige.

Calvin's eyes swept over the legs of the dining table and its chairs. Once they hit the wall, he they retreated in the other direction until they landed on the large, plasma screen TV that was currently displaying a black screen; it was switched off. In front of that, his gaze met the harsh black of glass, rectangular coffee table that stood proud in front of the well-loved Italian sofas stood around the coffee table in a semi-circle. On the largest one, slept his wife.