[28]

November 26th 2017

Calvin hadn't told Audrey what to wear, so she had dressed casually in a warm brown knitted sweater, black skinny jeans and black, suede ankle boots. Since it was so cold outside, she also grabbed a scarf and a coat, not wanting to risk catching a cold.

When she had walked downstairs, Calvin was already waiting for her. When she got to the bottom, he stood up and tucked his phone into the back pocket of his jeans. He didn't meet her eyes when they walked out of the house together.

Audrey didn't react, nor did she say anything when Calvin walked past her and opened the passenger door for her, waiting patiently for her to get in. She simply pursed her lips and got in, suspicious as to why he was acting so...nice. This was strange, even for Calvin.

She didn't return his smile when he got into the driver's seat.

Choosing to ignore the awkward tension that filled the car, Audrey looked out of the window. She didn't want to have to meet Calvin's glances on every couple of seconds. Even though her head wasn't turned in his direction, she could feel his eyes on her whenever he stared at her when given the chance while driving.

Audrey must have been tired after work because she hadn't been paying attention to where they were going. She was looking out the window, but she wasn't taking any of it in. She was just enjoying the silence of her mind, glad that for once, her mind wasn't jumbled with all sorts of thoughts and feelings.

It was only when Calvin pulled the car into one of the parking spots did Audrey come out of her daze. She looked around, silently admiring the exterior design of the diner where they would be eating when her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

This place looked familiar. Too familiar.

"Wait." She spoke softly, though her tone held a touch of urgency in it. Her eyes flittered between the diner and Calvin.

With his hand paused on the door handle, Calvin turned to face her. He raised an eyebrow in question. "What's wrong?" He asked, a smile playing on his lips as he took in her bewildered expression.

She pursed her lips. "We're eating here?" She asked, her voice cool, almost as if she was attempting to appear casual. But it seemed that it was far too late for that.

Calvin chuckled. "Is there something wrong with this place?"

She shook her head. "No." The food was good, she had eaten here enough times over the past few weeks to know that the food was really good. Though the company was better, and that was what she feared. "I just thought that we were going to Taco Bell." She told him, not meeting his eyes as he stared at her.

Calvin frowned. "I thought you didn't like Taco Bell." He mused.

She offered him a small smile, grateful that he didn't seem to see past it and call her out, because her smile was most definitely fake. Either that, or he was silently laughing at her antics. "I didn't like it before," she began, her voice trailing off until they were both met with silence as Audrey wracked her brain for a good enough excuse to get Calvin as far away from this place as she possibly good. "But it's grown on me."

Calvin nodded as he listened to her. "I thought we could try out something different. I haven't eaten here before." He told her, and when she didn't say anything, he asked her if she had.

"A few times," she muttered quietly, hoping that he wouldn't hear her. But that would be very difficult since they were the only ones in the car with the faint sound of their breathing and the occasional conversation being the only sources of noise in the confined space.