[25]

November 23rd 2017

Audrey hummed to herself quietly as she walked into the coffee shop. The bell chimed when she opened the door. She offered a small wave at the familiar lady who stood behind the counter. She had been working when Audrey had last come into Darcy's Diner.

Her lips tugged down into a small frown as she noticed the corner booth was empty.

There were a number of reasons that Audrey had decided to return to the quiet diner that evening. One, because she was hungry but wasn't in the mood of cooking. Two, because she had secretly hoped that she would run into that handsome stranger again and three, it was their three-year anniversary and Audrey hadn't seen her husband all day. Calvin had left for work -or she presumed that he had left for work- before she had woken up and since then, she had been in a sour mood all day.

All she wanted was to spend some time with her husband on their anniversary -especially since she knew that it would be their last anniversary- but it seemed that, that was just too much to ask for.

Sighing, she gave her order at the counter and walked over to the empty corner booth, preparing herself for an evening alone.

An hour passed and Audrey was silently picking at a chocolate brownie and nursing a nearly empty glass of milkshake when someone sat down from across from her. She didn't need to look up to know who it was.

-

Calvin loosened his tie as he simultaneously stepped out of his car. He didn't bother fetching his briefcase because he didn't plan on staying at his house too long that night. After a quick shower and picking up some papers that he had forgotten that morning, he would be on his way to Jane's.

He would be working; something that he could very well do from home, but he would rather have Jane for company than Audrey.

His footsteps were quick as he walked swiftly over the drive way and jammed his key into the lock, wanting to get going as soon as possible. Calvin didn't even have time to take his shoes off before he jumped back in surprise, one hand holding on tightly to his tie while the other clutched at his heart, attempting to slow it down.

A loud yelp sounded from his lips as his eyes widened in both surprise and shock at the sight in front of him.

In his living room was all of his family and friends. And by the looks of things, it was all of them.

His lips stretched up into a stiff, forced smile as he greeted all of the people in his house, his eyes scanning over all of the faces. There was no sign of Audrey, though he had no doubt that she was behind all of it.

Trouble always seemed to follow her.

Calvin couldn't help but grit his teeth as he smiled harder, not at all happy with having to put up with so many people after suffering through a long day of work. There was no doubt that this was all of Audrey's doing. He had noticed that she had been trying to get as much done over the past few days as possible. He could only presume that she was making the most of her time before she had to leave.

Calvin hadn't said anything when she had begged him to go out to dinner the other day, or even when she had wanted to go out to the cinema. He had just nodded and silently gone along with it, not wanting to experience the drama that would surely ensue if he were to refuse. But this was where he was drawing the line.

"Thank you," he smiled at someone who had congratulated him with a pat on the back. He didn't glance over his shoulder to see who it was. Calvin slowly drifted through the crowd, in attempts of finding some normality, or at least some answers to the questions that were swarming around in his mind.