[22]

November 13th 2017

The car ride to the country cabin had been silent. Audrey had tried to make conversation, but Calvin had just ignored her. However, she was happy to see that her brother had called about half way into the excruciatingly long and awkward car ride, and so was able to pass the rest of it easily.

She didn't even care that Calvin could hear everything that her and her brother were discussing. It also helped that he knew nothing about her failing marriage.

Audrey opened up the boot and grabbed a suitcase, bracing one hand on the side of the car while the other tugged at the suitcase. She had packed light, but it seemed that the half a dozen books and laptop that she had bought along were weighing it down.

A grunt came from behind her before she was pushed to the side roughly. "Move." Calvin barked at her as he tugged her suitcase out of the car.

Audrey's eyebrows shot up in surprise as she watched her husband unload both their suitcase and extra bags out of the car before he locked it with the click of a button. She made a move to take one from his hand, but he dodged her advance. "I've got it." He muttered lowly, his lips slowly pulling up into a small smile.

She was truly taken aback, but when she saw her mother in law, Shelley, standing at the front door waiting to receive them, all her surprise vanished. She wasn't surprised any more.

Helping her and being chivalrous had all been a show so that his mother wouldn't question his behaviour towards his wife.

Audrey just smiled and walked quickly up the driveway, passing Calvin as she ran into Shelly's arms. Audrey may have grown up in multiple foster homes with her brother, so it was nice to have a mother and father figure to look up to.

Calvin's family truly was her own, even if he hated her.

After greeting everyone and exchanging many hugs and kisses with all of the family members, Audrey decided to head upstairs to the bedroom that she would be sharing with Calvin for the next week or so. She had managed to take to grab her toiletry bag before Calvin had decided that he would be handling the suitcases.

Audrey had just about finished placing all her necessities in the bathroom when she heard her name being called. She dried her hands on the towel as she walked into the bedroom.

Calvin stood in the middle of the room, waiting for her. "Close the door." His voice was strong and commanding, yet quiet so that no one would her.

She didn't question him as she turned around and closed the door quickly. Audrey paused for a minute before she turned back around to face him; to face her husband.

She couldn't deny that she was excited. But for what, she wasn't quite sure.

"We need to set down some rules." Calvin informed her once she had turned around. He resisted the urge to roll her eyes at how long that one simple action took her.

"What kind of rules?" She found herself warily.

"The kind that keeps you out of my way."

Audrey didn't comment. She didn't trust herself to. To say that she was disappointed would be the understatement of the century. She had been without any affection or inkling of love from Calvin, and to think that he had called her here for sex was actually quite ludicrous. Embarrassing even, if he ever found out about it.

Audrey willed her heated cheeks to calm down, but to no avail. She was just glad that Calvin didn't notice it. And even if he did, he didn't comment on it. He just wanted to sort everything out so he could leave the room and enjoy the rest of his day.