[21]

November 10th 2017

Calvin paced back and forth in his bedroom, bored. There wasn't anything for him to do, especially since he was simultaneously on his day off while also trying to avoid Audrey.

It was tough.

After a few for minutes of pacing and not sure what to do with himself, he sat down on the bed and reached for his phone which was resting on the bedside cabinet. Seeing as he already had the number of speed dial, Calvin had the phone glued to his ear in no time.

"Noah," he greeted his assistant once he picked up. "How are you today?"

Calvin's assistant cleared his throat before speaking. "I'm good, sir. What about you?" He asked politely, wondering why his boss was calling when he was supposed to be enjoying the one free day that he had, had in a long time.

"I'm good also."

An awkward silence passed between them where neither of them spoke a word. Calvin didn't know what to say and Noah was wondering what his boss wanted. "Is there anything I can do for you? Perhaps you forgot something in the office."

"Yes," Calvin coughed in order to clear his throat. "You see I forgot some very important files in my office and I need you to bring them over to me so that I can get started on them." He said, hoping that his assistant would just comply and do as he was told, but that was mere wishful thinking on Calvin's part.

"I've already started on the paperwork, Sir. And I'm nearly finished." Noah informed his boss.

"Oh, yeah?" He scratched the back of his neck.

"Yes, sir."

"Well, if you've got the work under control then maybe I should come in and see some clients." Calvin suggested.

"Oh, no sir." Noah shook his head, not that Calvin would be able to see the gesture. "We've got that all under control. You just enjoy your free day." He couldn't help but smile at the way Calvin seemed resistant to get off of the phone. Noah hadn't forgotten the conversation that they had, had a few weeks ago.

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely." He smiled again.

Calvin paused for a few seconds. He hummed, giving off the impression that he was thinking. "I think I should come in anyway."

"To do what?" Noah asked, curious as to how Calvin would answer the question. "We've just finished one project, and we aren't due to start any big ones until later this week." He informed him.

"But I'll be away then, so maybe we should start now."

Noah shook his head again. "We'd have to change the client appointments and I'm not sure how some of them would take that."

"Yes, yes." Calvin found himself muttering into the phone, desperately searching for excuse after excuse to go into the office. At least then he wouldn't have to stay at home. He needed something, anything, to distract him, to get his mind off everything that was going on around him. But it seemed like there truly wasn't anything for him to do, and he doubted that even if there was, his assistant would tell him about it unless it was absolutely necessary.

Calvin could hardly believe that he was looking for an excuse to go into the office even though it was his day off. The situation was quite ironic.

"Anything else, sir?" Noah asked politely.

"No, but call me if you need anything."

"Will do, sir. Have a nice day."

"You too." He muttered before hanging up the call and dropping the phone onto the bed next to him.