Chapter 9: If You'll Let Me Listen

- Carter-

Ever since my argument with Halo, I felt so selfish. Here I was, talking about how hard my life was, when Halo was just holding in all her emotions.

Halo wasn't thinking about herself. She was thinking about me.

She was right. I AM AN ASSHOLE! She was just sitting there, letting her emotions build and build, probably wanting to pour them out to someone. But no one would ever listen to her, so she went to a diary to pour her heart and soul out.

HOW COULD I BE SO STUPID! I'M SELFISH!I'M A FUCKING IDIOT!

I had to make this right. I had to apologize to her. Show her that I wasn't just a selfish asshole.

I went to the only person I knew I could get answers from. Iyanna.

I found Iyanna getting her books from her locker.

"Iyanna, thank goodness I found you."

She slammed her locker door shut (nearly chopping off my hand). "I'm not supposed to talk to you."

" I need to know what's going on with Halo."

"Why do you care? You just care about yourself."

"What did she tell you?"

"Nothing good. That you're a selfish whore and you'll never understand that the world doesn't just revolve around your shitty ass."

"Look, I need to tell her I'm sorry."

"Look asshole. You so much as think about going near my friend, i will suffocate you and have you raped unconscious by a homeless man. Trust me bitch, I'm that crazy."

(Damn!) "I understand I've been a major asshole, but I understand Halo now. I understand who she is as a person. I just want to show her that I'm there if she needs me. That she doesn't need to feel isolated or trapped. That she should express herself and not hold her feelings  in. Please help me."

She looked like she was having one of those "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw" moments.

"I shouldn't be telling you this, but tomorrow is Halo's birthday. Get her something that will show her how you feel."

I thought about this. " Got it. Thanks Iyanna. I owe you."

" Just hook me up with one of your French friends and we're good."

I chuckled at her. " I'll see what I can do."

******

- Halo-

Today's my birthday. I didn't feel like celebrating. I wish I didn't have a birthday.

My life just felt like a piece of shit. I had a dream where I would get raped. The adorable asshole really was just an asshole. My dad was dating a suspicious woman. And I didn't have a mom to go to because I don't know where the hell she is!

I felt tears rushing down my face. I wiped them on my shirt. I didn't want a party. I just wanted to be alone in my room.

I went downstairs to find my dad making my special birthday breakfast.

"Happy Birthday Halo! All your friends are coming over at 5:00!

" Um,Dad? Can we just call them and tell them the party is postponed?"

"What why?"

I put my head down." I just want more of a small gathering. Like just having Iyanna come over. Please?"

He sighed. " It's your birthday."

I gave him a tight hug. "Thank you."

"Anytime. Is it still okay if Lola comes over?"

(NO! I DON'T TRUST THAT NORMAL WHORE!)"Sure Dad."

"You're the best. Now sorry, but even birthday girls have to go to school. "

He kissed me on my forehead. I rolled my eyes at him.( He's such a DORKY dad. But I love him anyway.)

"See you after school dad."

"Later birthday girl."

Later that day, I was getting my books from my locker when Carter the bitch came along.

" OH, it's you."

"I know I'm the last person you wanna see right now, but someone told me it was your birthday. So I got you something."

(I'm gonna kill Iyanna.) " I don't want or need anything from you. But of course, you think I don't need anything from anyone don't you asshole."

He looked desperate. "Look I'm sorry about what I said. I realize now that I was an asshole."

I rolled my eyes. " You JUST realized."

"Look, please listen to me. I just want you to know that if you need anything that I'm here for you. You play it all cool because you care more about other people's happiness than your own. I realize that now. But it CAN be about you sometimes Halo. The world revolves around you too."

"There's nothing going on with me."

He seemed annoyed. " How can i get you to understand. You can talk about your feelings to me. You can talk to me."

He passed me a bag.

" What the hell is this?"

" Just open it."

I opened it. It was a diary. A diary with quotes from romance novels on the cover.

"How did you know-"

" After looking at your diary, I realized you weren't writing memories. You were writing what you wanted your life to be. You wanted your life to be better because you were going through these things but no one would listen to you. Well I'm sorry I didn't listen. But I'll listen now Halo. "

He looked me in the eyes.

"If you'll let me listen."

I looked at the book. He cared about me. He actually wanted to hear what I had to say. He didn't want to hurt me. He just wanted to understand me.

"Halo?"

I grabbed him by his face. I pressed his face against mine. His lips touched mine as he grabbed my back to pull me closer. I arched my back, letting my chest touch his. He put his hands on my chin, moving are lips closer together.

We let go of each other, each of us gasping for air.

" Happy Birthdy Halo."

" Shut up asshole."

I grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him into my lips.

For once I felt a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time.

I felt happy.