The 'talk' with mom

* Riley Bennett *

I don't know whats wrong with me. I can't stop thinking about her. Her pale skin, silky brown hair, piercing eyes. And her smile. Even if the only smile I've seen from her was a drunkin one, it was still beautiful. Just imagine what her real smile must look like if her drunken one lights up the fricken room.

When I got home that night, I couldn't sleep. Something irked at me. I had never left a party for a girl before, much less take her home and cover for her.

And when she was in my arms, even though it was to keep her standing, I never wanted to let go.

Maybe I'm crazy?

Is craziness contagious? I heard that the nurses who work with the lunatics sometimes go insane. Maybe that's whats happening to me?

But Violet isn't crazy. She's just depressed.

My thought were cut off when there was a knock on my door.

"Come in." I said. A second late the door opened to reveal my mother. She had her hair in a tight bun and was wearing a black pantsuit. Her usual work uniform.

She lent against the doorframe and crossed her arms. She was giving me her I-know-what-you-did-but-I'm-giving-you-one-chance-to-confess look. I had been giving this look a few times in my life and every time I ended up breaking and getting punished.

"Whats up mom?" I asked awkwardly. Her eyes narrowed at me as if to tell me I knew exactly 'whats up'.

"Not much. You know just went to my office to pick up something." she said emotionlessly.

Oh no! Did I forget to close the file or something?

"Oh really. Sounds fun." I played along. She let out a sarcastic chuckle and took a step into the room.

"Yeah. Very. And you'll never guess what I found.".

Shit.

"Uh what?" I asked innocently. She took a few steps closer to me and sent me a hard glare.

"I found Violet Blake's file open on my desk." She huffed.

Crap.

How did I forget to put it back? So much for being a spy.

"Oh....thats....weird." I tried. My mom was having none of it.

"How could you do that!" she exploded. I stood up, ready to defend myself.

I opened my mouth to speak but she cut me off.

"That's an invasion of privacy Riley! You could be sent to jail for that!" she yelled.

"Yeah but I'm not." I defended weakly. there was a moment of awkward science between us until.

"Why were you looking at Violet's file?" she asked, some of the calm coming back to her voice. I looked up at her. By had I looked at Violet's file.

To find her address.

"I just needed her address." I told. We stared into each other's eyes. It was as if she was using her super physiatrics on me to tell if I was lying.

"You can't do this to her Riley." my mom finally said. my eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Do what?"

My mom rolled her eyes at me.

"I know what you do with these girls Riley. You play with them for a week or so and then you throw them away. You can't do that with her Riley. She fragile. She's been threw enough already. She doesn't need your games." She explained.

I couldn't believe my ears. My own mothers knew what I did with girls and was using it against my so I can't see Violet.

"I would never do that to Violet!" I declared. My voice had risen to where my mothers had been just moments ago. Anger was flowing through my veins. How could she say I would plays games with Violet!

"And even so, she's not good for you either!" mother continued.

"She's depressed Riley! She's already tried to commit suicide once and my methods don't seem to be helping. Imagine what would happen if you guys started going out. What if you fell for her and ten she tried to kill herself again and succeeded. You would be heartbroken. I don't want that to happen to you."

I stood frozen. Deep down I knew she was right. Me and Violet weren't good for each other. And by being friends or whatever we are, we're hurting each other.

And the last thing I want to do is hurt Violet.