Chapter One

I sighed, kicking a rock that lay in front of me on the sidewalk out of my way, and continued slowly shuffling my feet along the ground. Unfortunately, I was walking to school yet again because not either one of my parents could stop fighting for one second to drive me to school. My house was practically a war zone, new things to fight about popping up every hour or so for my parents. Half the time, I didn't even know what they were fighting about, and the other half of the time it seemed pointless. A lot of kids would say that they'd never want their parents to get a divorce, but I was pretty much at the point where I no longer cared. At least I wouldn't be lulled to bed and waken up in the morning by shouts.

On the flip side, it had its benefits. They were so involved with their own problems that they completely overlooked mine. Never noticing when I skipped breakfast in the morning, or ate a couple bites of my dinner each night. I don't want to say that they didn't care, they just ceased to see the world around them when they were not a part of it.

I stopped, standing about fifty feet before the front doors of my high school, dreading to go back in. Honestly, it could be worse, but a lot of the more 'popular' people liked to point out my flaws and insecurities. I'm never looking forward to that, but everyone else in the school is okay, and by okay, I mean they don't notice me at all which I almost prefer. As much as I would like a friend to talk to every now and again, I wasn't graced with the looks or social skills to approach anyone. So I stayed by myself, silently walking through the halls with no one walking alongside me but my own shadow.

I finally started moving again when I heard the first bell ring, giving me five minutes to get to my first class. Other students were rushing around me, running into the school to avoid being late. I gripped my bag on my shoulder and headed into the school, my head facing the ground in hopes to avoid making eye contact with anyone. Today wasn't my lucky day though apparently because I saw Lindsay Marshall, the alleged "Queen Bee" of the school leaning against one of the lockers with one of her minions. I silently chanted a small prayer that she would either not see me or ignore me, but when I heard footsteps walking over to me I know it didn't work.

"Hey Madeline," she said, fake niceness oozing out of her words. I tentatively lifted my head up, and gave her a small half smile hoping she would just leave. Her friend didn't say anything, just silently watched our exchange with a small smirk on her face. "I love what you've done with yourself today. The whole, 'I don't really give a shit if I look like total trash' is so you," she exclaimed, gesturing up and down my body with her hand to emphasize her point. I shifted my feet, knowing that I should just walk away or say something for Christ's sake, but I couldn't bring myself to. She leaned in a bit closer to me and whispered, "it might look better if you lose a few pounds though." The bell rang and I internally groaned. Lindsay and her friend left, leaving me standing in the middle of an empty hallway.

I don't know why she even bothered to comment on my weight. I know how fat I am already; did she just enjoy adding fuel to the fire? I speed walked down the hallway and arrived at my English classroom, opening the door to see that my teacher's back was turned. I tried to quietly make my way to my seat hoping I could get away with it. "Arriving late yet again Miss Winters?"

"Sorry," I whispered, keeping my eyes trained anywhere but him. He shook his head at me but went back to writing on the board instead of giving me a detention which I was thankful for. I slumped down into my seat, avoiding the stares of the students around me. There's nothing more I hate than being the center of attention, but apparently everything was going just swimmingly for me today.

•••

My least favorite part of the day approached as the bell getting me out of my third period class rang.