Chapter Twenty-Eight

Can you come over?

The buzz of my phone woke me up. The screen nearly blinded me, and I had to blink several times before I could focus on the words. A simple, four-word text, and yet it sent a feeling of both nervousness and excitement into my stomach. Two types of butterflies mingling, going so well together.

My phone showed that it was nearly one in the morning, and I groaned. What could Asher possibly want at this hour of night? Tomorrow (or I guess, today) was Sunday, so being late to school was no worry, but Charlie and I had planned to study together. She said she was struggling a bit with some things that her old school hadn't got to yet. Although I would probably be no help, I still accepted to help since I had been really enjoying her company. School on Friday had went by so smoothly it was unreal. Having Asher and Charlie to talk to made my day infinitely better. I just hoped they felt the same.

I made myself focus back on Ashers text, where it sat open, begging for a reply. The three tiny dots popped up on his side of the text window, like he was typing something, but vanished again a second later. I hesitated sending him a message back, in case he had wanted to say he changed his mind, but nothing ever came. I shut my phone off and walked in a circle around my room a couple of times to wake myself up a little. Since it was pitch black in my room, I ran into my dresser, making all the objects on it rattle.

"Ow," I muttered, rubbing the spot on my hip where it had hit. "Now, bed or Asher?" I asked myself, looking at the bed as if it would give me a reply. Huffing out a breath, I opened back up my phone and sent him a reply back.

Yes.

I waited a few minutes after sending the message, but he didn't reply. I hoped he hadn't fallen asleep, but I guess I wouldn't know until I got there. Rather than checking the weather on my phone, I opened up the window to see how cold it was, which I regretted immediately. It was freezing, which anyone with two brain cells might've guessed since it's November.

I hustled over to my closet, and took out a sweatshirt and leggings. The leggings now fit a little baggy on me, which looked strange, but I didn't want to worry myself about it now. My stomach made an odd noise, and I winced as the hunger pangs set in. I sighed, and leaned my head against the cool wall until they went away.

Once that was over, I started throwing things into a tote bag, before stopping. Was I going to be sleeping over there, or just staying a little while? I had never spent the night over there, nor him here, so I was sure I would be returning here at some point. Then again, it was pretty late, and I wouldn't want to walk all the way back. After a thought, I put in some pajamas, my phone charger, deodorant, and a hairbrush.

Cracking open my door, I peeked out to see if my mom was out, but her door was shut, and no lights were on, so I assumed she was asleep. Still, I tiptoed my way downstairs and slowly unlocked the front door to make my escape. The harsh wind made my face feel like it in ice, and I considered going back for a moment. Asher's house wasn't crazy far away, but it was far enough to make me reconsider my choices.

He might need me.

Why though? What purpose do I serve?

Either way, I was already outside with a bag packed, so I might as well go. I started the trek down my driveway, and spared a glance over to Charlie's house. Unsurprisingly, the house was dark besides the porch lights, and I envied the sleep she was probably getting.

Once I got to Asher's house, I waited at the front door, hand poised to knock, before I paused. If his mom was home, she would surely hear it, and she might not appreciate him having visitors so late. So, against my better judgement, I twisted the handle to see if it would open, and it did. I wiped my feet off on the doormat before stepping inside the beautiful home, in all it's splendor. Quietly, I nudged the door shut behind me, and locked it. It's not like he needed another person breaking into the house tonight.