Chapter Four

Okay, this is simple Madeline. You can do this. Just walk up to the weird scary guy and apologize for almost breaking his car.

It was now Friday and I was standing about twenty feet away from Asher. He was leaning against a locker, talking to some guy I didn't know. He was clad in that leather jacket he always seem to wear, and some dark jean. Of course, he still kept a cigarette behind his ear; I have no idea how he managed to get away doing that in the school. Still, he looked just as good as he usually did.

I did not just think that.

I was standing at my locker staring at him like a loser, hoping that the guy he was talking to would just leave already. I didn't want to go up to him and get insults thrown at me. The other guy eventually left and I gave myself a small pep talk to encourage myself to walk over there. I turned around to start walking, but Asher seemed to have vanished, he was no longer standing by the row of lockers. My eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, where could he have possibly gone in a matter of like, two seconds?

"Hey." I jumped about a foot in the air and let out a small shriek and whirled around. In front of me stood Asher who just about scared me half to death. He smirked at my reaction and I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. I looked down at the ground, all thoughts of apologies leaving my mind all because he was standing close enough to me that I could feel the heat radiating off his body. "You were the girl that I almost hit with my car yesterday right?" I remained silent. "You ever pull that shit again and next time I'm not slamming on the brakes."

His words sent a chill up my spine and I wondered for a second if he was serious. I didn't think it was that much of an inconvenience for him. I allowed myself to say the only words that were built up in my throat right now. "Sorry," I whispered, raising my eyes to look up at him, but still keeping my head faced towards the ground. He stared at me for a second before opening his mouth like he was going to say something when someone came up behind him and slapped his back.

"Yo Asher. Are you coming to the game after school?" Spencer asked, coming up to stand next to him. How lovely that it had only been one day and Spencer had already gotten Asher on his friend list. Spencer hadn't seen me yet, and I calculated out my chances of running away before he actually saw me standing there. They were slim to none. As if on cue, Spencer glanced my way and did a double take, surprise taking over his features. "What're you doing talking to a piece of shit like this man?" And I felt uncomfortable all over again. Then Spencer did something unexpected and laughed, coming next to me to wrap an arm around my shoulders. "Come on Mads, you know I'm kidding!" I didn't say anything and continued to look down, not understanding this whole charade he was going through. If the sole purpose was just to make Asher believe that he wasn't a total douche, it seemed pretty pointless.

Asher looked from him to me, slight annoyance showing on his face. I'm not sure who it was directed to, but hopefully not me. He shifted his feet and I wondered if he was actually going to say anything anytime soon because I felt like a loser just standing there. "I got stuff to do after school, so I can't make it." He picked himself off from leaning against the locker next to mine sand started to walk away. He paused and turned his head slightly, but only just so I could see his profile and threw a "see you later" back at Spencer.

I began to walk away in hopes to get away from Spencer, but was tugged back by someone pulling onto my arm. I flinched a little bit, his grip on my arm was so tight I was sure it was going to leave a bruise. Spencer stepped up so I was only a couple inches from his face. "Listen, I don't ever want to see you talking to any of us ever again, and by 'us' I mean, the people who actually have a life that's worth living for. You don't belong here, stop ruining other people's lives trying to better yours, okay loser?" He didn't give me a chance to reply and shoved me into the lockers as he left, which left me surprised to say the least. I mean, yes, I was used to all the mean comments I got from them but they've never actually given me physical abuse.