Chapter Nine

Some people think Mondays are the worst day of the week, but I would have to disagree. For me, it was Wednesdays. The day right in the middle of the week. You're already halfway through it, but still have more to go. You've already been in school, so you're dead tired, and it's not at the point yet where you can look forward to the weekend. Wednesdays. They kill me I tell you.

I was getting ready to go to the horrid place people have to spend four years of their lives in known as high school. I hadn't checked my weight in a couple days, so I figured I'd pull out the old scale. Apparently, I was still losing weight relatively quickly, at least, quicker than I used to be losing it. I was feeling extremely dizzy a lot lately though, and I had to try and focus on school, so although I loathed to do it, I needed to up my calorie intake. At least a little bit.

So when I walked downstairs I forced myself to grab an apple and a granola bar. I stared at both objects in my hand and wondered how much I could eat. I looked around me and noticed a completely empty kitchen. Where had everyone gone? Usually both my parents would be up in the morning, ready to go to work.

"You're going to have to walk to school today Madeline," I heard from the living room. I nearly jumped out of my skin. My mom was sitting on the couch staring at the TV, which wasn't even turned on, blankly. She wasn't even dressed, something unheard of for her. No makeup, nothing done to her hair, nothing.

"Why?" I asked tentatively, stepping into the living room a few paces.

"Your father has taken it upon himself to take the car," she answered smoothly. She took a sip out of the glass that was in her hand, I couldn't see what was in it. I hoped it wasn't some form of alcohol. The last thing this family needed was that.

"Is everything okay?" I asked her, which in hindsight was probably a stupid question. Obviously, something was not okay, or she wouldn't be sitting in the middle of the living room like some weird stalker, sheathed in darkness.

She turned her head around and flashed me one of those ghostly smiles, the ones you can tell aren't real. "Everything is perfectly fine," she replied. "You'd better start walking to school or you won't get there in time for first period," she finished.

I nodded and she turned back around to stare some more at the blank TV, continuously taking small sips from the glass in her hands. I turned around and made my way towards the door, sparing one last glance towards the living room. I opened up to door and started the trek to my stupid school.

It was colder than usual, and I found myself shivering against the cold. While I was walking, I ate my apple and the granola bar while trying not to think about the calories. It caused the dizziness to leave my head, which was great.

I pulled my hoodie sleeves past my fingers in an attempt to protect me from the cold. I really hadn't been thinking this morning when I didn't grab a jacket. Usually this time of year would be decent, but I couldn't seem to get warm no matter how hard I tried.

Once I got to school I ran right inside to savor some of the warmth it brought me. Apparently that was a big mistake because Spencer was standing right there and I ran into him. He turned around with a furious look on his face which only turned worse when he saw that it was me who had ran into him.

"Are you fucking serious?" He yelled, making the hallway decrease in noise and people stare. He walked closer to me, getting right in front of my face while I tried desperately not to show how afraid I was. "Aren't you going to say anything to me?" He seethed, staring right into my eyes. I faintly heard the bell ring and the patter of students feet as they left the hallway.

He's been an asshole to you for years Madeline, you're not going to apologize to him. You can't.

I tried to find some courage, and managed to take all of two steps to my left to try and get away from him, but he grabbed my arm and yanked me back. The hall was empty now, it was only him and I. And maybe my possible death. That could be waiting too. I should have just apologized instead of trying to be brave. It really never works out in the end.