+++ 18 - HANDPICKED PLAYERS +++

ROSSO

It has been a week since Lucas went to Lupercus and we haven’t heard any news yet. I don’t know what happened but Giovanni told me Lucas spoke with Federico after I left the building that day. I asked him what does Lucas want but he told me he didn’t get the chance to know since Federico came in and took Lucas away. I have suspicions that Federico will do everything to get Sovran and with Lucas in the picture, he can use him as means to an end.

I know he will.

My trusted Sotto Capos were worried that the gang bosses are already underway with their plot against us. Until now, they are trying to suppress the uprisings but are having a hard time controlling the lower gangs without killing them. I ordered them not do anything to the bosses, not because I feel sorry for them but, because I have something in mind for them. There were four lower gang bosses under my direct rule and all of them are rebelling against me. Then there is my own Consiglieri trying to take over my position.

How I will enjoy my time with them when it comes!

I should be worried that these imbeciles are trying to gain support from the mafias of other countries but I know that the Dons will not interfere with my business. I knew them, ate lunch and dinner, had conversed at meetings and confided with them about things only the lot of us can talk about. Only a few of them are the ones who had seen my face and still kept secret about it. I have faith that they will not succumb to greed. We may not be clean living but like me, these men also value their words.

I held a meeting with the gang bosses, my Sotto CaposConsiglieri and sentries regarding the issues at hand. The scumbags insisted again about the marriage deal and laid down what had been happening on our land. Crimes are escalating to a staggering degree. Murder between each districts are increasing at an incredible speed. Killings and assassinations are growing and becoming uncontained. My own people are rebelling against my leadership. This mutiny is giving me headaches just from thinking about it.

Damn them!

After what I did to get them to the top, this is how they are repaying me. Seeing how things are turning out, I only have one way to go.

Hell. Well, I have been in Hell since day one. Might as well enjoy my stay.

So I agreed to their proposal. They were ecstatic when I announced it and I saw the way their eyes shown with arrogance that I bent down to their will. Federico’s and the other bosses’ maniacal grins showed me who are with me on this and who are not. Looking at their faces confirmed that all of them are against me and are now happy I have finally obliged. Little they know they are the ones playing on my field. With the information Red got, I am ahead of the game. Federico wanted to marry me for my wealth, position and the power I held over Sovran. The bosses agreed so that they can control me and continue with their own ways. Federico’s files showed his plans. After he marries me and gain the title I have, he intended on eliminating all the lower gang bosses in order to make a whole new organization under his rule. And with the way he looks at me, it seemed like he will try to tame me and make me submit to him. Obviously, that will not happen.

I cannot be ruled by just anyone. Not anymore. The other bosses agreed to Federico’s plans in order for them to gain power over Sovran. According to the information Red found, once they had me married off to Federico, they will stage an attack against us to get the both of us killed. Once we are dead, they will lead the whole Sovran organization. I wouldn’t mind giving them what they want if not for the conversation Red found between Federico and the bosses. I wouldn’t mind dying alone but their plan to take over comes with murdering all of my family members. My siblings were already dead. Now they will want to kill everyone else in my mob; my sentries, my household staff and the loyal people who are with me. I won’t let that happen. Not to my family.

What these 2 parties don’t know is that I am fully aware of their masterplans. They thought they can stab me behind my back. No, they cannot. I have eyes everywhere. The good thing about me not telling others about my work is that no one knows who I consider my enemies and my allies. An advantage I will exhaust. They don’t know what happens to those who try to hurt my family. These scumbags don’t know what it means to attack an Arcadi.

Deception and manipulation is my game and they are my handpicked players.

++++++

Right now, we are at my board room meeting with our wedding planner. Federico wanted it to be grand and invite the Dons of other countries as well as our high-end clientele and allies. He also wanted my business clients to mix in with our underworld patrons. I disagreed because that will only cause problems if they meet each other. He complied but told me the underworld clients will be invited to which I declined as well. I don’t have any problems with the involvement but I don’t want both my legal business partners as well as our rich clients to get hurt. They are staging a mutiny against me on my wedding day. I will not let other people who are not part of this to be injured when shit goes down.

“So what color do you prefer as motif?” Cybil, our wedding planner, asked me. I am currently sitting at the head of the table while Federico is at my right while she sat on my left. The drawings, portfolios and folders that I can select from are scattered around the table.

“Black. With red lining.” I said without looking away from my laptop typing on it like the busy woman I am. While talking to Cybil, I am also working on my reports and emails while Federico is focusing on the wedding plans. I knew Federico is getting irritated at my lack of interest but I really don’t have any so he have to accept that. His blazing eyes accentuates his seething anger at how I act although he doesn’t want to show it to the other person in the room. Truth is, I have nothing to do but double check the figures of my company’s account. I just want to get on his nerves which seems like it is having an effect. He wanted to marry me, then he better deal with how I am.

“Wouldn’t that make it a funeral instead of a wedding?” Cybil asked confused at my theme.

“Have you seen conventional weddings? I don’t even want to marry in a church. This is my wedding and you have to follow my wishes.” I said looking at her for the first time since she and Federico arrived. “I want a black motif wedding dress with black lace belt. I want the theme to be in those colors as well. Red chairs and tables with black utensils and table wares. The decorations for the garden will be in black while the tree lights as well as the pool lights in red. I want to have it done at our private estate. I want the wedding to be in the afternoon where the sun sets.” I glared at her unflinching. “That is what I want so either you make that happen or I fire you.”

“That is workable. I’ll make sure it is up to your preference, La Signora.” Cybil answered fearing for her life and career. She and everyone knows that only one word from me and their businesses can go down in a snap.

“Good.”

“Hey, babe. What about what I want?” Federico butted in.

“Oh, and tell the guests to be in their best black attire.” I continued without acknowledging him.

“Babe… I think I should have a say on OUR wedding?” He emphasized the word so I turned to him as annoyed as he is.

“You wanted to marry me so do me a favor and shut your mouth. This is what I want and this is what will go on MY wedding. You have NO say on it.”

Federico’s face turned red with chagrin that he shouted at me. “You do not speak to me like that. I am your fiancé. Respect me as I respect you.”

“What did you just say?” I spoke in a cold voice and icy look. “How dare you speak to me like that? Who do you think you are? I am still your Capofamiglia. YOU should respect me,” I stared him down scornfully with a look that can make Hell freeze. “Consigliere.”

Federico left enraged and humiliated. Our wedding planner sat stunned at our argument but I just shrug my shoulders dispassionately. I let her go after we finished before going back to my office. I was silently walking the hallway emotionless as I think of the wedding. If we were normal, I will not be surprised with Federico’s outburst. The theme and motif I requested is not something a normal girl will want for her wedding. It’s true that the colors are for a funeral.

But, what can I say, the wedding will turn into a funeral once it go in full swing so might as well dress for the occasion. I am just readying them for their imminent memorial.