The Mortal Cup

"We have to get to the police station," was the first thing Isabelle said to the older Fairchild when she found her in her room, blankly staring at the wall while running a couple of bullets for her guns. "Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Nyx said and jumped up, loading the bullets in the magazine and then into the gun itself. "Let's go then," she smirked and followed the younger Lightwood, grabbing her mother's dagger from her dresser and her guns as well. "Why, exactly?"

"Clary and Jace need backup for something," Nyx furrowed her answer at the answer but nodded anyway. 

***

"Someone called for backup?" Isabelle said once she, Alec and Nyx saw Clary and Jace exit the police station. 

"Yeah, what took you guys so long?" Jace answered, coming to stand in front of Alec while Clary gave her sister a short, side hug in greeting. 

"Funny, I was gonna ask you the same thing," Alec spoke.

"It's complicated," Jace returned the look that his parabatai was sending him.

"We found The Cup," Clary intervened, bringing all eyes to her as she dropped the bomb. Her older sister paused her movements and turned her body so that she was facing Clary directly, her eyes boring into hers in a fierce manner. Clary, upon seeing the whole change in body language, looked away a little, feeling slightly peeved. 

"The Cup?" Nyx asked with surprise, her eyebrows quirked up. 

"Yeah...but then we lost it," Clary sighed, her green eyes not meeting Nyx's. The older redhead scoffed and shook her head, not believing what she was hearing right now. "We have to sneak back in the precinct to get it."

"This is a disaster," Alec crossed his arms over his chest, a not too pleasant look on his face. He couldn't believe that the red head that caused him so much trouble and proved time and time again that she was a nuisance, lost the one thing that the shadowhunters had been running around the city looking for, risking their lives again and again, breaking a lot of Clave rules that put the Institute in a bad position...

"Hey, demon pox is a disaster," Jace disagreed, "this is an inconvenience. We need, a plan, that's all."

"What about glamour?" Nyx asked, feeling her pants pocket for something that might be of use to this whole situation.

"We tried that," Jace shook his head. "Anyone working with Valentine will see right through it." Sighing, Nyx found what she was looking for and knew that she would have to use it in order for them to get The Cup as easily as possible without having to sneak in and cause a rouse.

"Can we ask Magnus Bane to portal us inside?" Clary asked, looking towards the Lightwood siblings.

"No," Alec answered immediately.

"That would be awkward," Isabelle muttered.

"Magnus can only portal to places he's been in before," Nyx answered, rolling her eyes at the Lightwood's vague answers. "And besides, we don't have to sneak in, there are too many complications and would cause too many problems that we do not have time to deal with."

"What are you saying?" Alec asked, turned to face her with curious yet suspicious light brown eyes.

"Where's The Cup?" Nyx asked her sister instead, whipping out her phone and already beginning to text someone she trusts fully.

"It's in the evidence vault on the second floor," Clary answered, still confused as to why they didn't have to sneak in to get one of the Mortal Instruments. 

"Is The Cup in its original form?" Nyx paused her movements and asked the question, something dawning on her. Luke clearly couldn't have hid The Cup in all of its glory, someone would have surely stumbled upon it by accident or something, being hidden in a simple desk drawer. Luke and her mom were too smart for that- to cautious, so its appearance must have been altered someway clever.