Chapter 16 - A Goodbye

I haven't told you yet about my parents, right?

My mother died when I was 12.

And my father...well, he remarried and sent me to France. His reason was because I needed a better place to study than 'old' America.

That..that was a lie and I know it.

He simply couldn't bear to look at the child who reminded him so much of his previous love. And to ease away the pain, he remarried a woman. Don't get me wrong, she's extremely kind.

And I know she was going to be able to heal the gap in my father's broken heart.

So he sent me away to some place, with enough money for school and living when I was only 15.

I was a young child, filled with grief and hate. I was lost, I was confused. Each day was a living hell.

Then I met Adrien.

We hated each other at first, we argued, we called each other names. I don't know why. Suddenly I opened up to him, and then we realized how similar we were to each other. He spilled to me his story, his past and life. Our parents were nearly the same. Our mothers were both deceased and our fathers neglected us.

So we became best friends who could not be separated. Then into what we are now, lovers.

''(Y/N), what...what are you saying?'' Adrien's voice broke through my daze.

The tears fell down harder than before. ''It's exactly like you've heard, Adrien. I need to go back to America.'' My voice broke.

''But why? Why suddenly?'' He swallowed.

''My father...he..he's gravely sick. Our homeroom teacher says his wife called and said he is probably dying. So he's calling for me.''

Adrien gasped and pulled me closer to him into a tight embrace. He knew the grief I felt when my mother died. Because he felt it too, with his own mother.

And now he knows that no matter how much my father has neglected me, I still love him.

''I'm sorry Adrien, I'm sorry. I love you, I really do. But my father needs me.''

He rubbed my back and kissed my forehead with a smile.

''I understand, princess. So go, right now, he needs you more than I do.''

He pulled away and all I could see in his eyes was sincerity. He is willing to let me go, even when he knows that I might never return.

''I...I should go pack my bags.'' I mumbled, before walking away.

He didn't chase after me or call me.

Everything happened as quickly as it started. I booked the closest flight to Kansas and packed the essentials quickly. I kept looking at the window, hoping that any moment, Adrien would come bursting through.

But he didn't.

And here I was now standing in the airport, looking at my friends, Alya, Marinette and Nino. Adrien hadn't come.

They were all crying and taking turns in hugging me.

''Promise to come back, (Y/N)!'' Alya whispered to me.

Marinette held my hands and cried. ''We really hope, from the bottom of our hearts that your father will be back to a healthy state again.''

I nodded, wiping my tears away. Nino came and hugged me too. ''I don't know where the hell is stupid Adrien, but here is a comforting hug from a friend who will always stand with you.''

''Friends, you mean! We will always love you and wait for your return to us.'' Alya said. Marinette and Nino nodded in agreement.

I closed my eyes and sobbed as we all did a group hug. Then I stepped away, looking at the three.

I guess this is the last time I'll see them.

Memories of what fun times I had with each person flashed right in front of my eyes.

''See you again, (Y/N).''

They nodded at me and waved as I walked to the gate.

It looks like you won't come, Adrien.

And I understand why.

So if you can hear my voice, goodbye.

I love you.

...

''(Y/N)!!'' A cry of a boy rang through the airport. I turned around with wide eyes as a body slammed into mine and we fell to the floor.

''I'm sorry that I'm late, baby, but I'm here, so don't cry.'' Adrien cried, supporting his body with his hands each at the side of my head.

''Idiot...you're the one who's crying..'' I whispered, wiping away his tears. He helped me up and hugged me tightly.

I sobbed and he sobbed with me. He continuously whispered in my ear, 'I love you' and 'I don't want you to go.'

''I don't want you to go, I really don't. But I'll be a good boyfriend for once.''

I playfully poked his cheek. ''You have always been a great boyfriend.''

''I know for sure that you'll take care of yourself, but take care nonetheless alright sweetie?'' He said worriedly, wiping away my tears then his own.

I giggled, despite the tears. ''You take care of yourself too, eat properly and sleep properly!''

''I sleep better when your next to me. Looks like I need to get a (Y/N) body pillow?''

I rolled my eyes. ''Nothing beats the real me though.''

''Hell no.'' He whispered, pulling me into a kiss. Silence filled the air as the woman made a call for boarding.

''I guess...that's my cue.'' I laughed nervously. Then I took his appearance in for the last time.

He looked utterly broken, his eyes were puffy and red, he had his shirt buttoned up wrong and his hair was messy and uncombed.

He smiled, despite the tears. ''Promise me, baby. Promise me that you'll come back.'' My eyes widened as he gently took my hand and placed a silver ring on my finger.

''And when you do, we will get married. We will live together, and I'll kiss you as much as I want with no walls or people separating us. So promise me, princess.''

By now, I was a torn mess, crying with my face beet red. ''I promise, I promise that I'll come back.'' He held my hand tightly as the woman called the final call.

''And when I do, we will get married.''

He leaned in and kissed me, whispering repeatedly I love you. He wrapped his arms around me, so tightly as if he didn't want to let me go.

I took a deep breath and smiled. Then I pulled away. He held my hand one last time and I walked away, his gentle hand slipping away from mine, painfully slow.

''Goodbye.''

I kept walking, tears streaming down my face, my heart aching and my feet willing me to go back.

But I didn't turn back.

And so I left France.

"I thought I was stronger than a word,

but I just discovered that having to say goodbye to you

is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

- Colleen Hover