Bonding

Delta followed Annabeth to the lake. Annabeth sat down on the sand. "What are we doing here?" Delta asked confused.

Annabeth stared straight ahead. "Sit," she demanded. Delta walked over to Annabeth and sat next to her. "Are you okay?" Annabeth asked as she finally looked at her.

"I'm fine," Delta shrugged off as she looked out onto the water.

"You can tell the truth, Delta," Annabeth reminded her. "I won't judge you."

Delta looked down. "I'm scared."

"Why?"

"It's just Jack."

Annabeth nodded at looked back out at the water. "Okay, now what's the real reason?"

Delta looked up at Annabeth surprised. "How do you do that?"

Annabeth looked back at her. "When you lie you won't look at me. Now what's going on?"

Delta searched Annabeth's eyes to see if she really cared enough to know. She did. "If we can't find the stone, we will die on that island."

"We won't die." Annabeth placed her hand on Deltas shoulder.

"How do you know that?"

"Because we'll work together," Annabeth gestured between them, "you and me."

"We can't," Delta stated as she looked away.

"Why not?"

Delta looked Annabeth in the eyes. "Because you're not coming."

Annabeth removed her hand from Deltas shoulder. "Hate to break it to you, Delta, but you can't exactly stop me."

"Yes I can. This is my quest and I don't want you coming."

"At least tell me why."

Delta looked down as she sighed. After a moment she looked back up at Annabeth. "I can't let you die." Delta looked down and then back up. "When I first got here you were the first person I really trusted. You're my best friend and I love you. There's a high chance that we'll all die on this quest. If you came and you died, I'd never be able to forgive myself."

Annabeth gave a small smile. "I love you too, Delta. You're like a little sister to me. Which is why if I don't come on this quest and you died, I'd never be able to forgive myself." Delta looked down again. "Do you trust me?"

Delta looked up surprised. "Of course I trust you."

"Then trust me when I say no one will die on this quest. I'm coming with you, Delta. It's nonnegotiable."

Delta smiled. "Ok." They both hugged.

When they pulled away Annabeth stood. "Now for the second reason why we're out here, we are going to train you."

"Say what now?" Delta asked as she quickly stood up.

"Whether we get your powers back or not, you need to be able to fight without them." Annabeth unsheathed her dagger. "Now attack me."

"No way!" Delta exclaimed. Just then Annabeth lunged at her. Delta turned her body to the right so the blade barely missed her left shoulder. She then turned her body to the left to avoid another attack. Then she had to bend backwards as she saw the blade miss her face by less than an inch. When she was standing straight again she glared at Annabeth. "Are you insane?!"

Annabeth shrugged. "Maybe a little. Pretty good avoid tactics, let's see your offense."

Delta shook her head as she touched her necklace making her sword appear in her hand. "You're insane." Then Delta swung.