2

My mouth nearly dropped down to the floor. Did she really just talk to me?

"S-Sorry what was that?" I stuttered, not sure of how to approach the situation. I didn't think that my actions would actually work. She's never spoken to any of her past psychiatrists before.

It took me a long second to realize that she was smirking at me from across the table.

"W-What?" I asked, flushed.

"You're nervous. You didn't think I'd respond." Even though she spoke with a certain dullness in her voice, the sound of it was still rich and velvet-like. Her tone was curt and matter-of-fact. She had confidence in her words. I had to admit, she was right.

"Well... it's not like such a belief is totally unfounded," I responded while flipping through some of the pages in my binder, "After all, you haven't spoken to any of your previously assigned psychologists, Ashlyn. Speaking of them, I'd like to ask..." I stopped and gulped. I couldn't ask. What if she gets angry? What happens if-

She raised one thin, graceful eyebrow upwards. There was a painful but short silence that followed.

"You want to know why I killed them." I froze as she said that. Reluctantly, I nodded. She sighed and leaned back a little in her chair. "Because I could."

"Liar," I said and stuck out my tongue. That earned another surprised look from her. Rather than appearing irritated, Ashlyn looked somewhat amused.

"Liar?" she asked innocently.

"Liar," I confirmed with a nod, "My specialty is reading emotions and memories. I can tell when someone's not quite telling the full truth." She started to chuckle softly, earning a surprised look from me this time.

"Alright, fine. I killed them because they were worthless to me. They were just employees who didn't really consider me human. They wanted to prescribe me all kinds of suspicious tranquilizers and receive their paycheck. I wasn't going to let that happen." Her facial expression didn't change in the slightest as she said that. She remained stone cold.

I frowned a little. Images of my bloodied carcass laying in the room flashed through my mind but I shook those thoughts away.

"Also, you can call me Ash."

"S-Sure," I managed, "Nice to meet you Ash. I'm Alice." I smiled at her brightly. "Sorry that I'm a bit nervous. Anyways, we don't have to actually prescribe you any medication if that's something you don't want. I'll do everything in my power to make sure that they don't give you any pills that you don't want to take."

I cleared my throat. If she was this willing to talk, I had to push her to see how much more she would tell me.

"So, your profile states that you are responsible for hundreds or even thousands of deaths. If this is true, why did you kill so many people?" I bit my lip hard. I didn't want to step on her toes too much, but that question may have done it.

Unexpectedly, she smirked again.

"Because I could." That answer sent shivers down my spine. Raw fear racked my body. Was she being serious? I suddenly wanted to squirm out of my seat. Just as I was starting to think about how much I wanted to escape her presence, the door swung open with a loud bang. Security guards rushed in, helping me up and guiding me swiftly out of the room. I looked back as I was being escorted out and found that Ashlyn was staring straight at me with a bemused expression lingering on her face.

"'Til we meet again," she said wistfully.

  ───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────