4

"No wonder they gave me a silicone watch," I chuckled. After around four sessions spent talking about my day and line of work, Ash finally gave in and told me what one of her powers was.

She could control and manipulate all varieties of metals according to her will, making her a deadly threat in a city raised from the ground with tons of steel. Flashes of shredded carcasses and bloody iron spread ice in my veins, but I shook it off immediately. As the psychiatrist, I had to compose myself in front of my patient. After all, she might consequently see a weakness in my conduct to poke at.

"What's wrong?" she asked, concern lightly weaved into her tone. I frowned lightly and laughed a little.

"Nothing. So your power must be awesome. The City is pretty much at your fingertips, huh?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Tell me what was wrong." The former tenderness of her voice wasn't there anymore. Her statement wasn't simply a statement- it was a command. I shivered slightly, which caused her to raise an eyebrow in suspicion. Not wanting to upset her, I cast my eyes towards the table and told her how I truly felt.

"It's really nothing... I just can't help thinking about the magnitude of your ability, I mean I'm just thinking about the amount of destruction you could cause on a whim. To an extent, it's awe-inspiring. But I guess it's also a bit terrifying in a way." I glanced upwards for a split second and saw her with her jaw clenched and eyes set hard on my own. I quickly shifted my gaze back down and fiddled with my pen. I opened my mouth to speak again, but was quickly cut off.

"I would never dream of hurting you," she said with an intensity in her voice. Tension filled the room as my heart thudded independently in my chest. Why was my heart pounding?

"I didn't think that you would, I'm just thinking about the lar-"

"You felt scared," she said, in a matter-of-fact way, "I don't want you to be afraid of me." I looked back up as she said that and our eyes locked instantly. I scanned her, trying to decode her intentions and her feelings. I could feel myself flooded with something strange. It was a mixture of sadness and longing. I cut off my connection to her emotions, not wanting to bear it any longer. But I didn't want her to either.

"Why do you feel sad?" I squeaked. I couldn't quite control my tone, to my embarrassment. Ash noticed immediately and snorted.

"Why do you still feel afraid?" she asked innocently.

"I'm not."

"Liar."

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to," I added wistfully. Although I felt guilty for still regarding Ash as a deadly criminal, I also felt quite reasonable. With such an awful track record of wreaking havoc on the City, killing thousands, and leaving a trail of violence in her wake, Ash had gained quite the reputation, especially in prison facilities. Still, I felt a tight feeling in my chest that wouldn't go away no matter how many times I reasoned with myself. Ash's eyes softened, filling me with that soft, light purple of her irises. I could stare into her eyes all day if I had the time.

"Someday, you won't. I'll make sure of that." Ash said this triumphantly, as if she'd just made a resolution she wouldn't stop pursuing until the day she died. I smiled warmly.

"We'll make sure of that," I reassured her. She smirked a little. She never smiled warmly like normal people do. "Why don't you ever smile?"

The question seemed to surprise her, as she furrowed her brows and tilted her head slightly. I felt a slight flush come to my face when I saw how child-like she could appear. I scolded myself for being so immature.

"I've never had a reason to," she stated darkly. My blush faded at once as I heard her say that. I could tell that she really meant what she said. Nothing had made her happy enough to smile in life. I felt the blankness of her emotions then, a stark contrast to the strength of her feelings just minutes ago.

"That's quite a sad thing to say," I responded, "What makes you happiest in life? Does anything excite you or draw your curiosity?" I clicked my pen, ready to take notes on potential ways to rehabilitate her emotional detachment. She chuckled softly, almost letting herself smile.

"You."

  ───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────  

Author's Note: Sorry this hasn't been updated in so long!! I've been extremely busy with college applications and whatnot so I haven't really been on wattpad :(

Hope you enjoyed the new chapter though <3 stay tuned for more