8

It hadn't even been three days after my conversation with Grace when the television news channels were all blaring with urgency at 3 a.m. in the morning.

I usually have some trouble sleeping, and I suffer from an irregular sleep schedule and terrible coffee-drinking habits. Typically, that makes me hate myself that much more in the mornings, but I'm glad that I was up tonight.

No matter what news station you flipped to, all were trained on one event: the escape.

Apparently, around midnight a group of officers had let a group of Ash's criminal allies into the prison, letting all hell loose and injuring too many to count. Ash herself completely destroyed much of the prison, using her powers to twist and mangle the iron bars, stairs, and platforms into an impossibly complicated terrain. Even though I desperately wanted to look away from the horrific images, images I didn't want to believe were real, I couldn't tear my eyes off the television screen.

I drew my blankets tightly around me, letting the soft, fluffy fabric comfort me as I flipped through every channel for new developments. Where was Ash now?

My tea sat on the birchwood coffee table, billowing less and less steam each second. I doubt I could drink it now anyways. My hands were shaking too much to pick up the scalding mug. Then, I realized how much of an idiot I was being.

I quickly picked up my phone, dialing a number I knew all too well. Grace. I'd been thinking so much about Ash that I neglected to consider how my best friend was after all the mayhem. My heart thumped as I bit the inside of my lip anxiously, hoping for the best.

The phone rang too many times and with each ring I got more and more nervous, but finally there was a click and Grace's relieving voice filled my ears. I sighed audibly when she began to speak.

"Hey Alice! I can't talk much right now because I need to treat a LOT of people, but don't worry. I'm okay. I only sustained minor injuries. Freaking out right now! Call you later!" The phone clicked again before I could say anything, but my lips curled into a smile anyways. That interaction was more than enough. But in front of me, the television screamed with haunting statistics: 68 injured, 16 - dead.

I shut off the T.V without another dark thought plaguing my mind and crawled into my bed, which was right behind me. I shivered, but not because I was scared. I felt the skin on my arms and discovered that I had goosebumps all over. I walked over to my window and peered out over the city. Though my apartment was small, it had a really nice view. I leaned out over the edge and closed my eyes, breathing in the cold air. There was a pressure on my waist. An arm snaking around my back. Before I could yell, I was already hanging 70 feet in the air in the arms of a smug purple-haired woman.

I can't even imagine what look would've been in my eyes. I must've seemed like a scared kitten, just dunked into freezing ice water for the first time. Ash chuckled momentarily and nodded towards the roof, which was only a few stories above. Suddenly, I felt a tug and realized we were both rising upwards towards the ledge of the rooftop. I clung onto Ash's navy blue sweatshirt and realized she'd changed out of her prison clothes. Without meaning to, I noticed her scent. She smelled like rain and lavender. Not like a killer on the loose.

When I felt my feet come into contact with solid ground, I kept clinging onto Ash. I didn't want her to think I'd run. I knew that the stairwell entrance to the rooftop would be to my left, as I often came to gaze at the city when I felt that my window wasn't enough. I buried my face into Ash, and felt her ease her grip on cue.

"Oh, you're so adorable," she gushed as she kissed the top of my head. It almost made me want to stay in her embrace. Almost. Without another second to spare, I ducked under her arms and sprinted to the exit. I felt the same tugging sensation and realized I was running on thin air, hoisted only about a foot off the ground.

"Boss, this one's fiesty," said a bored voice.

"I know. You can let her down. Gently," Ash growled from behind. Again, I was lowered slowly to the ground and instantly felt a weight on my back, pressing into my body. One of Ash's arms firmly gripped around the front of my body almost like a seatbelt.

"No escaping allowed," she said with an ominous tone. I gulped and nodded, afraid of what she would do if I didn't comply. Was I still scared of her?

She let go of her hold around my waist and raised both of her hands, a curious black strip between them. As the velvety fabric closed around my neck, I realized what it was in horror. With a wave of her hand, Ash melded the buckle into a metal tab only she could detach using her powers. The bell jingled playfully under the neat black bow. It was a collar.

Ash stepped away, walking a few feet in front of me in the process, admiring the sight of me wearing her collar. She raised a single, pale hand and beckoned, sending a jolt to my neck and pulling me abruptly towards her. I stumbled, but regained my balance as I angrily frowned towards her. A wicked smirk grew on her face.

"It works perfectly. Thank you, Malcolm." I glanced behind me and saw a man with shaggy chesnut hair nod with approval. He had the strangest pair of gloves, with pointed metal fingernails and a thin framing around his hands. I realized that he was a Weaver, a person able to generate incredibly strong metal wires and use them for almost any purpose. I realized then that the cloth of the collar must have been woven with thin metal threads mixed in with the silk. A perfect toy for Ash. No. I was the toy.

I clenched my fist as images of the completely destroyed jail and the victims of Ash's ruthless rampage flashed through my mind one by one. The collar seemed to tighten as Ash tugged playfully, trying to get my attention.

"Look at me, Princess." Her words were so sweet but they oozed a venomous tone. I couldn't place my finger on it. She sounded so menacing, innocent, and seductive at the same time.

Without another thought, I followed my impulses. I threw myself forward and punched her, the sickening echoing sound of my fist against her jawbone cracking through the night air.

As a sharp pain shot up my arm, I realized it was not the sound of her jawbone cracking. It was my fist. I quickly cradled it in my other hand, crumpling down into a pathetic form as I crouched, trying to hide myself in my pain. Laughter howled behind me as I heard footsteps approach.

"Boss, where'd you find this girl?" one of them asked as she chortled with laughter. She must've been the telekinetic one who called me fiesty. It seemed like only she and the one Ash called Malcom were accompanying Ash on her quest to kidnap me.

Ash crouched down, rubbing her jaw and matching my gaze. A very light bruise was forming, but as seconds passed it faded away. When it was completely gone, she roughly grabbed my neck, dragging me upwards and off my feet as she stood up. I was like a ragdoll in her hand.

Her hand was burning hot on the pressure she was exerting on my tender neck wasn't a picnic either. I kicked my feet helplessly, oxygen levels depleting quickly. My eyes brimmed with tears and I spotted Ash's eyes flicker with a sense of wild excitement. What a sicko.

In the blink of an eye, Ash had swept me into a bridal style position as she carried me without a trace of the hostility she'd just shown me. Her hands were gentle as they held me as if I were a newborn baby. She closed her lips over mine for a few seconds, letting her warmth soothe me and distract me from the sharp pains in my hand. When she backed away, I noticed the her two companions staring, wide-eyed.

"You're not going to kill her?" asked Malcolm in disbelief. He opened his mouth to protest further, but Ash was staring daggers at him and he knew better than to anger her more. He shut his mouth and nodded obediently.

"Let's take her back. She looks like she's in pain." I stared up at Ash's face, still emotionless as ever. But I could see what no one else could: her hidden worry for me. Wasn't I the one who punched her?

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

A/N: hope you liked this chapter!! I'm not 100% sure how the story's going to go now, buttttt I'll figure it out on the way I guess.

Stay tuned <3