prologue

CHAPTER ZEROPROLOGUE

CHAPTER ZERO
PROLOGUE

✦✧✦✧✦

"Mom! Scott stole my iPod!" Violet called downstairs to her mother. The girl was going out for a run and couldn't find her iPod anywhere; the iPod that her older brother was known to borrow without asking.

She busted into her brother's room where she screamed upon seeing a certain buzz-cut boy hanging from the window ledge, trying to climb up, thus making him scream as well, "Stiles what the hell are you doing?!" Violet exclaimed.

The boy stopped dead in his tracks, hanging onto the ledge for dear life, "uh, you know....hanging out." He said awkwardly with a light chuckle punctuating his statement.

Violet's mother came running up the stairs with her baseball bat in hand and gave an exasperated sigh when she saw Stiles in the window, "hey, Ms. McCall. Violet."

"Stiles, what are you doing in the window? We have a front door, you know?" Melissa said.

"I was actually looking for Scott. He wasn't answering his phone."

"That's because he's showering." Violet said, pointing to the bathroom in her brother's bedroom. It seemed that this cued Scott to walk out of the bathroom. A towel was wrapped around his waist, and he looked confused as ever at the sight of everyone in his room.

"What's going on?" Scott asked.

"You took my iPod. Again. I want it back." Violet said to her brother.

"I didn't take it." Scott replied, almost shocked at the insinuation.

"I took it." Stiles intervened sheepishly, making everyone's eyes turn to him.

"Can I have it back?" she requested.

"Actually....I might have broken it." Stiles replied.

"Stiles!" Violet whined. "Now I have to run without music." She said, leaving Scott's bedroom and into her own.

Removing the band that would have held her now missing iPod, Violet left the house in time with her mother, who was working the late-night shift at Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital. A single mom with two kids and an extra Stiles was tougher than it looked.

Violet began her run, listening to the quietness of her surroundings as well her breathing and footsteps pounding against the damp pavement.

Behind her, she heard a car approaching quickly as she jogged. Without looking back, she moved more to the right side of the road. As the car zoomed past her with two honks, Violet looked up at the pale blue jeep driving by. She rolled her eyes and continued on her way to the Beacon Hills Preserve.

As Violet found her way through the trail she normally took, the woods seemed to be a bit darker that night, although the moon was full. The younger McCall girl squinted her eyes in the dark and saw some bright lights in the distance as she ran. The few bright lights turned into several and soon she saw the police cars.