i. HYPOTHETICAL WOLF

CHAPTER ONEHYPOTHETICAL WOLF

CHAPTER ONE
HYPOTHETICAL WOLF

✦✧✦✧✦

Melissa McCall wasn't one to ask for help. So when her husband came home every night and basically sucked the liquor cabinet dry and lashed out frequently, she didn't know who to turn to.

She first noticed a problem when Violet came home one day and showed her mother a drawing of their family.

"There's Scotty, mommy, me, and daddy." Violet pointed out to Melissa.

"Sweetheart it's beautiful. But why is daddy holding a bottle? He's not a baby." Melissa asked her daughter with a slight chuckle in her voice.

"Daddy always has a bottle in his hand when he gets home. So I drew it with him." Violet explained.

Melissa's final straw, however, was when she and Rafael had gotten into an argument and Scott had been at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rafael had grabbed Scott and pushed him down the stairs. Angered by his accident, he chucked his bottle of alcohol to the ground where Violet now stood, looking for the source of commotion. Some glass embedded itself into the then three-year old's arm, and her brother was knocked unconscious at the foot of the stairs.

After assuring that the children were okay, Melissa made the decision that it would be best for the kids and herself if Rafael went to get some help and stayed away for a little while.

It had been 12 years since Violet had last seen her father.

The youngest McCall had often tried to remember her father, but was reminded that what her mother did was for the best when she would trace over the scar that she liked to call her parting gift, it held a small piece of glass from the bottle inside her arm.

It was very early on in her life when Violet decided that she wanted to become a nurse like her mom. Violet McCall would do anything to help her friends and family.

Although Melissa always encouraged her daughter to pursue being a doctor instead, as a little girl, Violet said she wanted to work with her mother in nursing.

Violet thought about that night as she boredly traced over her arm in pen during class. One more year until I get my internship at the hospital! Thought Violet excitedly.

Due to lack of teachers for the freshmen, Violet was stuck taking Mr. Harris' class with Scott, Stiles, and Jackson—or as she liked to call him—Jackass.

"McCall?" Harris called.

Both Scott and Violet had absently said they were present and Harris did not look excited to have the siblings in his class. He didn't like the fact that both Scott and Violet were in the same class. Of course he didn't, it was Mr. Harris. "Now I'm stuck with both McCall's in the same period. Sit next to Stilinski," he gestured to Violet, "maybe then he'll be able to control himself."