Goodnight Kiss

You started working at SVU seven months ago, and in those months, you seemed to be the only one to crack the "Barba Code." Rafael Barba was a mystery in and of himself and getting close to him proved to be a challenge. Luckily, it's been worth it.

Your relationship with Barba was truly one of a kind. He was your best friend and you were his. It didn't start off that way, though. There was a lot of animosity in the beginning.

You were the forensic psychologist assigned to the team, and let's just say tension was at an all-time high. Everyone was afraid that you were going to profile them and ruin their careers. Obviously, you were just there to offer a different perspective and fit right in after a few days.

It took a lot more convincing from Barba. You knew he had a bit of a troubled past; an abusive father was just the beginning. His trust took a lot longer to win, but when you did, it was yours forever.

Barba had called you into his office for some trial prep. You were the expert on the case, so he wanted to double-check that everything was airtight. As always, it was. You dodged his mock cross questions like a pro.

After what seemed like a lifetime, you finally finished. Before you could leave, Barba stopped you.

"Y/N, wait," he called out, as you headed toward the courthouse steps.

You spun on your heels, turning to a quite flustered Barba.

"What's wrong?"

"Listen, I was wondering if you wanted to attend a charity event with me tonight? It's for the DA's office, so I know it's not very appealing, but,"

"Yes, Rafael, I'd love to! Send me the details? I have to go shopping now," you chuckled, heading toward you taxi. You blew Barba a kiss, taking full advantage of his flustered state.

Barba was a few minutes early, so you told him to wait downstairs while you finished. You were getting a bit jittery, the way you always did before a big event. Sure, you knew some people from the DA's office, but you weren't best friends with them. The idea of getting bombarded with small talk was a little overwhelming.

You put on your shoes and headed downstairs. Barba was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, grinning foolishly as you made your way down.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, you just look...stunning," he spoke, grin still plastered across his smug face.

"You clean up well yourself, counselor," you said, straightening his bowtie, "now let's get going before we miss it."

The event was at one of the most expensive hotels in the city, making you even more anxious. A red carpet was laid out, leading from the entrance to the main ballroom. You interlocked arms with Barba, making your way inside.

Surprisingly, only a few people asked if you and Barba were an item, to which you'd reply with a simple, "just friends." It made you laugh that people would think you two were together; you fought like an old married couple, but were too dedicated to work.

Throughout the night, you made your rounds, talking to those you knew and introducing yourself to those you didn't. Every so often, you would catch Barba glancing at you from afar. He quickly break eye contact, so you decided to make it fun. You would make faces or blow imaginary kisses each time, causing him to laugh childishly.

Dinner was being served, so you made your way back to the table. Barba sat down next to you, handing you another drink.

"Are you having fun," you asked, taking a sip of your drink.

"Only after you started making stupid faces from across the room," you two laughed.

The rest of the night flew by, and before you knew it, Barba had already called a taxi home. The entire cab ride home was filled with giggles about the egotistical lawyers and tired wives you had encountered.

Barba walked you to the door, thanking you for being his date.

"I don't think I would have made it through tonight without you, Y/N."

"You know, it was actually kind of fun. I learned a lot about God complexes and aged scotch tonight," you chuckled, opening the door.

"That's pretty much all it takes to become a lawyer."

"We should do this more often," you said, offering him something to drink or eat.

"I've had my fair share of charity events for a while," he sighed, taking a seat on the couch.

"No, not charity events. I meant hanging out. As sappy as it sounds, I really enjoy spending time with you, Rafael."

Barba looked taken aback, as if no one had even spoken those words before.

"I don't get that very often."

"Well, you should. You're pretty wonderful, ADA Barba," you spoke, swishing around the juice in your glass.

"While I have to admit you're making me blush, I should probably get going; it's getting late," he dodged, heading for the front door.

You called after him, catching him before he stepped into the taxi.

"You forgot something," you spoke, pressing a soft kiss to his lips, "never leave your date without a goodnight kiss."